Aug 18, 2011, 10:01 PM EDT
Finishing a play at the rim is not that easy in the NBA. You think it’s just a layup but this is a league filled with long-armed, aggressive shot blockers who make the routine hard to do. If you go to the basket, you have to find a shot over or around them.
Who does that the best? Kevin Durant.
Hoopdata is a favorite site of mine for the wealth of information it provides, and one of the guys there is friend of this blog Joe Treutlein (he’s helped us with college scouting). He put together a list of the top 50 finishers at the rim for TrueHoop (by percentage), and we pass along the top 10 (along with the number of makes they had at the rim last season:
1. Kevin Durant (217 makes, 77.2 percent); 2. Dwight Howard (411, 75.4 percent); 3. Kevin Garnett (179, 74.3 percent); 4. Al Horford (178, 74.2 percent); 5. Wilson Chandler (161, 73.9 percent); 6. Andrew Bynum (160, 73.7 percent); 7. DeAndre Jordan (205, 73.7 percent); 8. Serge Ibaka (187, 73.6 percent); 9. Thaddeus Young (309, 73.4 percent); 10. Tyson Chandler (217, 72.8 percent).
The number that jumps out at me? Dwight Howard had 411 makes at the rim, 100 more than anyone in the top 10. Not only does he finish, he knows how to use his strength and speed to get a shot he can finish.
After that, credit to guys like Durant who usually make their living on the perimeter but know how to finish at the rim. Go check out the whole list, it’s fascinating. And something to watch for next season. If there is a next season.
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 14
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 31
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 85
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 55
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 30
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 43
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 59
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 4