Aug 18, 2011, 10:01 PM EDT
Finishing a play at the rim is not that easy in the NBA. You think it’s just a layup but this is a league filled with long-armed, aggressive shot blockers who make the routine hard to do. If you go to the basket, you have to find a shot over or around them.
Who does that the best? Kevin Durant.
Hoopdata is a favorite site of mine for the wealth of information it provides, and one of the guys there is friend of this blog Joe Treutlein (he’s helped us with college scouting). He put together a list of the top 50 finishers at the rim for TrueHoop (by percentage), and we pass along the top 10 (along with the number of makes they had at the rim last season:
1. Kevin Durant (217 makes, 77.2 percent); 2. Dwight Howard (411, 75.4 percent); 3. Kevin Garnett (179, 74.3 percent); 4. Al Horford (178, 74.2 percent); 5. Wilson Chandler (161, 73.9 percent); 6. Andrew Bynum (160, 73.7 percent); 7. DeAndre Jordan (205, 73.7 percent); 8. Serge Ibaka (187, 73.6 percent); 9. Thaddeus Young (309, 73.4 percent); 10. Tyson Chandler (217, 72.8 percent).
The number that jumps out at me? Dwight Howard had 411 makes at the rim, 100 more than anyone in the top 10. Not only does he finish, he knows how to use his strength and speed to get a shot he can finish.
After that, credit to guys like Durant who usually make their living on the perimeter but know how to finish at the rim. Go check out the whole list, it’s fascinating. And something to watch for next season. If there is a next season.
- Wade says left knee sore, swollen, but will play through it 8
- Popovich explains decision to sit Duncan late in regulation of Game 6 14
- Game 6 was not Gregg Popovich’s best night 44
- LeBron James gets another triple-double, now favorite for Finals MVP 18
- ‘Devastated’ Manu Ginobili says he has no clue how Spurs will re-energize for Game 7 44
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 (125)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (85)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- Chris Bosh blocks Spurs’ Game 6 comeback attempt (video) (79)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (78)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'
- Play Video: Green breaks NBA finals 3-point record