Aug 18, 2011, 12:37 PM EDT
After canning two very well respected general managers — Kevin Pritchard and Rich Cho — the Blazers have decided the guy with the interim tag doesn’t get to keep the job, either. Because we all know that more front office turnover is the most direct path to winning.
Chad Buchanan is the guy doing the GM job now but he is no longer in the running to be the next GM of the team, reports the Oregonian.
In a meeting Friday, Blazers president Larry Miller told Buchanan he is out of the running because Miller and team owner Paul Allen have decided they want to hire someone with GM experience or with extended service time as a “No. 2.” Buchanan, who has been with the Blazers for seven years, has never held a permanent NBA position higher than director of college scouting, a job he has maintained the past four seasons.
“They’d like someone with more experience — I totally understand that,” Buchanan said. “I wasn’t shocked.”
Buchanan was the GM through the draft, when he traded away Andre Miller and Rudy Fernandez, brought in Raymond Felton to replace Miller at the point, drafted Duke guard Nolan Smith, and helped extend an $8.8 million qualifying offer to Greg Oden. Extending that qualifying offer was a decision from up the management ladder, that one is not all Buchanan.
So who is going to get the GM job? Good question. All the big names will be hesitant after watching Prichard and Cho get fired just more than a year apart from one another. And after both did good jobs (but apparently talked to the media too much or were getting too much credit or were just not fun for owner Paul Allen to have a beer with or whatever it was that got them canned).
But there are only 30 NBA GM jobs out there, someone will take this one gladly. They just may want to consider renting a home rather than buying.
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Cleveland may want to cover Curry in the left corner 2
- It’s official: Scott Skiles hired as head coach of Orlando Magic 20
- PBT Podcast: Talking Thibodeau/Bulls divorce; future for Rockets, Hawks 0
- Warriors’ Klay Thompson officially diagnosed with concussion 20
- Klay Thompson should not have been cleared to return to Game 5 after concussion evaluation 15
- Dwight Howard suspended one game after foul switcheroo 18
- Three coaches who may replace Tom Thibodeau in Chicago 12
- Report: Kevin Love going to “look around” this summer as free agent; Celtics, Lakers, Rockets possible 49