Aug 18, 2011, 2:08 PM EDT
Chase Budinger can actually play — he was as heavily recruited out of high school as a volleyball player as he was a basketball player.
This weekend the Rockets swingman is playing in the Hermosa Beach Open (just down the strand from Manhattan — beach volleyball is a way of life in L.A.’s South Bay) and he’s got a chance to do well. He can only do this because of the lockout — his NBA contract prohibits him from playing another professional sport. But since technically he doesn’t have a contract…
He spoke to Henry Abbott of TrueHoop about all of this.
You know, I’ve been trying to talk to guys and actually play beach volleyball professionally. My brother [Duncan Budinger] has been playing professionally, he’s on the tour, and he has been trying to get me out there. I was definitely planning on already playing. With him going out there I see more motivation to get out there as well. I’m happy that I was able to jump on this Corona Light tournament this upcoming weekend…
What’s your best volleyball skill?
Definitely hitting. For my size, I think I’m a good passer as well. … What always helped me was I was always an all-around player. There wasn’t ever a skill I was bad at. I could always pass, I could always set, I could always hit the ball, I could always block. That always made me very difficult to play against.
What I want to see is Budinger draw Love’s team in the Manhattan Beach Open next week. If you’re up for a wager, I’ll take Budinger’s team.
- Spurs would like to remind you they are very good, crush Grizzlies in Game 1 1
- LeBron takes offense to something that Pacers’ head coach Vogel didn’t actually say 29
- Thunder GM says team won’t amnesty Kendrick Perkins 24
- Western Conference Finals preview: Grizzlies vs. Spurs 8
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks 50
- Knicks predictably drop Game 4 to Pacers, fall behind 3-1 (93)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (80)
- LeBron James shrugs off claims he’s a flopper (64)
- Seattle group releases statement; forced to wait, hope for expansion (63)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (63)
- Live Extra: Watch live coverage of Penguins-Senators
- PBT: Parker carves up Grizzlies as Spurs roll in Gm. 1
- PHT: Bruins crack Lundqvist, hammer Rangers
- PST: Arsenal grabs Champions League spot
- Ferguson's managerial career ends with 5-5 draw
- Moore stays unbeaten as Rays top Orioles
- Blue Jays-Yankees finale scrubbed by rain
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars
- Play Video: Knicks avoid elimination
- Play Video: Heat finish off Bulls, James 'has no energy left'
- Play Video: Health woes make Heat vulnerable
- Play Video: Good news for Sacramento, Kings stay