Aug 17, 2011, 4:51 PM EST
Remember how the head of the EuroLeague said the elite teams of Europe were not going to get in the “rent an NBA star” game, that they needed stable rosters? (To be fair, I had heard similar noises from some agents.)
You can pretty much throw that out the window.
Kevin Durant’s agent is in talks with Russian powerhouse CSKA Moscow, according to a report on the Russian Web site championat.com (via HoopsHype). He reportedly would make a $1 million a month salary and of course would have an opt-out to return to the Thunder should the lockout end.
Durant’s agent Aaron Goodwin laid out the other day how a player could make NBA money overseas, if the right team came along with the right marketing plan. This is one of the teams big enough to pull that off — this is a powerhouse of Europe, the winner or EuroLeague two of the last four seasons, the team that Nets owner Mikhail Prokhorov used to own. This also is the team Nenad Krstic plays for, a guy Durant knows as a teammate from OKC.
Durant has said he would make his decision on playing overseas by Oct. 1.
In addition to Durant maybe going overseas, EuroLeague power Maccabi Tel Aviv has brought in Jordan Farmar and is reportedly trying to woo Amar’e Stoudemire. If there is going to be an arms race other teams may jump in as well.
- Kobe Bryant sounds close to return, will not offer specific date 0
- Knicks and Nets might not remain so mockable for long, so enjoy it while you can 9
- Derrick Rose to those doubting his return: “You can be a fool if you want to” 8
- You knew this was coming: Carmelo Anthony denies report he has decided to leave Knicks 23
- Kevin Hart to write, star in movie with LeBron James 14
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Report: Dion Waiters accused Kyrie Irving, Tristan Thompson of playing “buddy ball.” (53)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (41)
- With game in balance, Jason Kidd tells player to “hit me,” spills drink, gets psuedo timeout to draw up play (40)