Aug 17, 2011, 1:44 PM EDT
Fighting the charges is one thing — Perkins has already started to do that — but the bigger challenge may be the public relations battle. Perkins is on a squeaky clean Oklahoma City squad with a fan base where those kinds of transactions will not just be swept under the rug.
Enter Perkins’ publicist, who started to tell Perkins side of the story to Darnell Mayberry of the Oklahoman.
“Although these may be misdemeanors, it’s a big deal to Kendrick,” said Denise White, a publicist for Perkins, in an emailed statement to The Oklahoman. “He’s not happy about how things happened that evening and feels like the police were out of hand….”
The biggest falsity, White said, is Perkins reportedly being drunk.
“He was not drinking alcohol, nor was he intoxicated,” said White, CEO and founder of EAG Sports Management. “Not one drop of alcohol Friday night. We’re not sure why they said Kendrick was intoxicated.”
A simple Breathalyzer would have ended that argument, but apparently the police did not use one, nor did they take a blood test. Which seems odd for a public intoxication arrest, but there you go. White said they have witnesses that will say Perkins was not drinking that evening.
White said the disagreement was over money — the club manager had promised money to Perkins foundation (he had taken over the club as part of a fundraising event) and would not pay. Then the manager got physical with Perkins, according to White.
White also said that the police on the scene were “out of hand.”
It looks like a judge will get to sort all this out. But Perkins is not going to go quietly on these charges.
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 2
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did. 14
- Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable 39
- Derrick Rose told Carmelo Anthony that if he came to Chicago “the game would be easy” 40
- LeBron James strips on stage, throws clothes into crowd (video) 23
- Is DeMarcus Cousins the big man Team USA can lean on? 19
- Lakers make it official — finally — and hire Byron Scott as head coach 13
- Derrick Rose: “I’ve become a smarter player, but I’m mad it took me seven years to learn it.” 29