Aug 17, 2011, 7:18 PM EDT
From the outside looking in, the Detroit Pistons were a god-forsaken mess last season. A coach the players didn’t respect, a near mutiny at one point with players skipping a practice in protest and losses piling up fast on a proud franchise.
To put it in Detroit terms, they looked worse than the automotive industry. I’d say they were one of the biggest disasters in Detroit sports history, but the Lions have secured all the top spots on that list.
But as bad as it looked from the outside, it was worse on the inside.
“Last year, everything that possibly could have went wrong, went wrong. We had a lot of talent. There were a lot of issues in the front office, on the floor, with coaches, with players. It was just a mess. People from the outside looking in don’t realize how bad it was. It wasn’t conducive for playing basketball at a high level and it showed. It was pretty much what everybody saw. Some guys showed up to play. Some guys didn’t show up to play. Whatever point people were trying to prove by showing up or nothing showing up, those points were taken. Six guys showed up. Six guys played and a few other guys decided not to play that night. That was one of the uglier moments during the season. Moving forward, I don’t see that happening anymore. That was probably one of the lowest basketball moments I’ve ever been a part of. Because we’re all a team and we all shared that negative light. Regardless of who played that night, it was bad. But moving forward, I think the emphasis will be much different.”
Lawrence Frank is going to change some things about the franchise, and work ethic and attitude will be one of them. Guaranteed.
By the way, you should be checking out Abrams at Grantland. We can debate the overall value of that site, but Abrams has been killing it.
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 2
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 0
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 8
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 47
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 48