Aug 16, 2011, 3:08 PM EST
You want to know why more and more I’ve become convinced that NBA games will be lost (and I didn’t want to admit that)?
Simple: You’re not going to get a deal until there is a sense of urgency to get a deal done. Now, read these two paragraphs from Alan Hahn at Newsday and tell me if you feel any sense of urgency:
The sides haven’t met since Aug. 2 in New York and (NBA Commissioner David) Stern accused the union of cancelling a meeting last week. The union responded that executive director Billy Hunter was told Stern would not be available for the next two weeks. A union official told me the word was that Stern was taking vacation, but an NBA spokesman said Stern was in his office on Monday and even if he did have a vacation scheduled, he could easily return for a collective bargaining session.
At this point, the union will host an executive meeting in New York at the end of August. The anticipation is the union and league will sit down again in early September, perhaps before the Labor Day timeline that Stern set.
Labor Day is a false deadline, really. But not all that much later there will be preseason games that need to be cancelled. It’s not until late September or early October that regular season games are threatened. That is the real deadline.
Not that either side has any urgency to meet it.
- Derrick Rose to those doubting his return: “You can be a fool if you want to” 0
- You knew this was coming: Carmelo Anthony denies report he has decided to leave Knicks 7
- Kevin Hart to write, star in movie with LeBron James 8
- The Extra Pass: A Google goggle revolution dream, plus Wednesday’s recaps 3
- Wednesday night NBA Grades: LaMarcus Aldridge is a flat out stud 9
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Report: Dion Waiters accused Kyrie Irving, Tristan Thompson of playing “buddy ball.” (53)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (41)
- With game in balance, Jason Kidd tells player to “hit me,” spills drink, gets psuedo timeout to draw up play (40)