Aug 16, 2011, 7:57 PM EST
When Pistons GM Joe Dumars was asked why he moved quickly to bring in new head coach Lawrence Frank in the middle of the lockout, he said that if you want to change the energy of your organization you should not wait.
The Minnesota Timberwolves have gone the other direction. GM David Kahn let former coach Kurt Rambis twist in the wind for a couple months, then when the Wolves finally got around to a coaching search it has been deliberate and methodical. Which is to say slow like a three-toed sloth.
Finally, this week, we may finally have some action, reports Jerry Zgoda at the Star Tribune (via Ball Don’t Lie). He says at least some of the seven candidates who have spoken to Kahn about the job will get their answers this week.
Who? That’s up in the air, the slow process have provided few clues. Zgoda surmises that Bernie Bickerstaff, Don Nelson and Sam Mitchel are the favorites to get the job (owner Glen Taylor may back Mitchel, and owners often get their way). It should be noted those are are three guys who have coached in the NBA before; Minnesota is not going with an untested coach again.
If those three are in it would leave Rick Adelman (who only did a phone interview for the job and doesn’t seem interested), Larry Brown, Mike Woodson and Terry Porter on the outside.
There has not been a formal second round of interviews. And there may not be. The Wolves are doing things their way. We’ll see how that works out for them.
- Mike D’Antoni: Chances “pretty good” Kobe plays Sunday… he sold that short 3
- Report: Rockets stepping up efforts to move Omer Asik 10
- Rumor: Carmelo Anthony recruiting Rajon Rondo to come to New York in 2015 13
- Report: Heat shopping Joel Anthony, seeking depth behind Wade 17
- LeBron not wearing new LeBron 11s, Nike “redefining” shoe for him 12
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (43)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (40)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (38)