Aug 16, 2011, 8:26 PM EDT
As one would expect, Kobe Bryant has denied injuring a man by snatching a cell phone out of his hand in a San Diego church.
His attorney issued a statement to the Los Angeles Times.
“Mr. Bryant is aware of the baseless allegations asserted against him,” said a statement issued by attorney Mark Campbell, “and is prepared to defend against them fully.”
Thomas Hagos, 20, of San Diego, filed a police report against Bryant saying the Laker star snatched a cell phone out of Hagos hand during a church service at St. Therese of Carmel Church in the San Diego area. The report says Bryant accused Hagos of taking pictures of him and his wife, but when no images were found the camera was returned. Bryant reportedly left the church before the service ended.
Hagos reportedly has said he had to go to the hospital for pain in his wrist after the incident. He has not spoken to reporters, and he has not spoken in detail to the police, according to the Times.
San Diego police would like to interview Hagos but, through a representative, he has indicated that he will not be available for interview until Aug. 24. No reason for the delay was given. Until the alleged victim is interviewed, police do not plan to interview the basketball star, a police spokesman said.
Make of this what you will. To me it still sounds like a small time incident that has blown up due to the police report, a report that you would need to file if you were thinking about a future lawsuit. The same reason you would go to an emergency room.
- Celtics owner: Rajon Rondo ‘super stubborn,’ harder than average to coach 9
- Bruce Bowen says blame for James Harden’s defense falls on McHale, Rockets 17
- NBA to review domestic violence policies in wake of NFL’s ugliness. It shouldn’t have taken that. 13
- Cavaliers lift ban on fan who ran onto court with LeBron James shirt 15
- Blake Griffin said he knew Donald Sterling was racist, wasn’t really surprised by tape 14
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Chicago Bulls 11
- Tony Parker hits a back over-the-head halfcourt shot (VIDEO) 8
- Timberwolves ‘not necessarily in a rush’ to agree to contract extension with Ricky Rubio 18