Kobe accused of injuring man’s wrist in church incident

Aug 16, 2011, 8:21 AM EDT

Los Angeles Lakers' Kobe Bryant talks during a news conference after the Lakers were knocked out of the NBA basketball playoffs in Los Angeles AP

I’ll be up front, not sure this passes the smell test for me. But, it’s out there and being reported in multiple places now, people are talking about it, so I will pass it along.

A man in San Diego has accused Kobe Bryant of injuring him during an incident at a church, and the police are investigating the entire thing, according to 10news.com in San Diego.

Sources told 10News Bryant was attending a church service at St. Therese of Carmel in Carmel Valley Sunday and thought someone was taking pictures of him with a cellphone. According to police, Bryant took the phone from the man, did not see any pictures and then left the church.

The man claims he injured his wrist in the incident and had to go to the hospital for treatment.

Is it possible Bryant did this? Yes. Kobe took the phone out of the guy’s hands and he had to go to the hospital for treatment? That smells of someone thinking lawsuit. I don’t know, I wasn’t there, but the whole incident just sounds silly and would be forgotten by everyone already if it wasn’t Kobe.

Either way, doesn’t sound like anyone was acting very Christian at church.

1. readysethike - Aug 16, 2011 at 8:52 AM

Im not very religious, but are u insinuating that taking pics at church is not acting like a christian?

• denverhoopdreams - Aug 16, 2011 at 11:28 AM

Seriously? I’m not religious at all and I know that isn’t what he is insinuating. Obviously neither of them turned the other cheek, moron.

• jjaxon36 - Aug 16, 2011 at 2:24 PM

Kobe and his wife are both PIGS.

This story does sound very plausible and in-character for Kobe Bryant. Seriously, why would this man be taking pictures of those two at church and even if he was you mean to tell me that those two attention and media loving whores wouldn’t welcome the thought of a “fan” snapping an innocent pic so that they can both remain relevant? Plus the simple fact states that the Man DID NOT take a picture of them. Looks to me like Kobe and his wife think they are above the law, Man’s and God’s…..

• mella21 - Aug 18, 2011 at 5:31 AM

taking a picture of someone while they are worshiping, is beyond disrespectful. There’s a time and place for everything> whether it happened at a synagogue or wherever, its just not right.

That doesn’t mean Kobe should have put his hands on the man’s property….but even a geranimal would know this isn’t a photo op.

2. skids003 - Aug 16, 2011 at 10:26 AM

I think he is insinuating that. Personally, anyone grabbing my phone out of my hand my get their rear kicked. I didn’t realize he had the right to snatch others’ property.

• jimeejohnson - Aug 16, 2011 at 1:40 PM

Kobe would plant you like a tulip!

3. thenmoveback - Aug 16, 2011 at 10:47 AM

Maybe Kobe grabbed it cuz this CHUMP should have some respect and NOT have his phone out in church….im not a big church person myself but i know when to have respect for the places im at and the ppl around me.

4. metalhead65 - Aug 16, 2011 at 11:25 AM

maybe it was rude of the guy to take a picture but unless lobe is a regular who is going to believe him when he tells everybody I saw kobe at church today unless he has evidence? and rude or not he has no right to take somebody else’s property.that said I am sure the guy is looking for a payday but hey if somebody tried to take my phone I would not be letting go without a fight.

• jimeejohnson - Aug 16, 2011 at 1:40 PM

Another tulip planted.

5. frankvzappa - Aug 16, 2011 at 11:28 AM

Acting like you own the world and can do whatever you want, taking things from others with reckless abandon…actually that just about sums up the history of Christianity…

• denverhoopdreams - Aug 16, 2011 at 11:43 AM

Not turning the other cheek.

I like how these guys are assuming what you’re insinuating too.

• florida727 - Aug 16, 2011 at 5:07 PM

Obviously you know nothing about Christianity, so stop trying to pretend you do please. Jesus Christ died nailed to a cross to pay the penalty for mankind’s sins. THAT is the foundation of Christianity just in case you’re wondering. How that translates to “taking things from others with reckless abandon” you’ll have to explain… not to me, to God some day.

6. polishkingski - Aug 16, 2011 at 11:33 AM

it was heinrich von slitshenburger….the popes photographer. his holliness has a man crush on kobe and he wanted some photos blown up for the pope/man cave to go next to his 60″ hdtv.

• pickyouoff24 - Aug 16, 2011 at 8:41 PM

just buy a fathead instead.. save the trouble

7. 1historian - Aug 16, 2011 at 12:11 PM

FYI –

1) I am a practicing Catholic.
    2) After I post I’m sure that some of the knuckle-draggers among you – and I know there are many – will drag out your dictionaries, wipe the dust off them, and fire away at me.
    3) It will be wasted.

I am not now never have been and never will be a fan of Kobe Bryant, but the man deserves his privacy in Church. As for the guy claiming his wrist was hurt – at least Helin had the integrity to say “that sounds like someone thinking lawsuit.” because that is all it smells of – it REEKS of it.

He took the phone, checked it and found there were no pictures of him and gave it back – what’s the problem?

• hatrhurter - Aug 16, 2011 at 12:31 PM

the problem is he has no right to take other people’s property especially on the basis that he’s worried someone took a picture of him. the lawsuit is ridiculous but a reminder to kobe that he’s not allowed to just do whatever he wants.

• iplaybingowitholdpeopleandwin - Aug 16, 2011 at 2:25 PM

legally, one can argue that KB was in a public place and therefore subject to have his picture taken without permission. however, KB also has a right to protect his image so this isn’t about him taking another’s property as much as it is protecting his own property rights.

further, from a common sense standpoint, the “photographer” should’ve asked permission or just not done it at all. absent permission, taking a picture in a house of worship is a bit selfish. the last place one would expect to get hounded is at church. this guy’s actions deserve a “C’mon man!!!”

• progress2011 - Aug 16, 2011 at 4:25 PM

1. ” Strong Arm Robbery ” – Taking property, forcefully

2. Assault – actual touching another person

3. Battery – a threat of attack to another person followed by actual attack, which need amount only to touching with hostile intent

4. This is still America and taking pictures, drawings or any other image ” in a public venue ” is totally legal. Otherwise the paparazzi that hide outside celebrities houses would all be in prison.

5. The church is a public place and pictures are taken at church all the time, weddings, baptism’s, funerals, announcements and yes occasionally , during regular service also. If the pastor, preacher etc has a problem with pictures being taken, they can tell the congregation of their rules. Then parishioners can determine how much money they want to put in the tithes and offerings plate or attend at all.

So, I understand all the emotionally based support of Kobe. But by definition of the law, he committed a crime and should be prosecuted and fines levied to the plaintiff / injured party.

8. luckylavs - Aug 16, 2011 at 12:54 PM

I live in Carmel Valley in San Diego and I regularly go to church at St. Therese (it is actually pronounced “Terez”). I have never seen Kobe Bryant at this church, but then again…I go to the 9:00 a.m. service…

Well, I’m also a bigtime laker fan and that would have been amazing to see Kobe Bryant in real life. But I doubt he will return to this church after this incident. He probably picked it because it is sort of a hidden/low-profile church, no one would expect to see him there. Now that it is in the news though…i’m guessing he will find something else.

I typically don’t see any celebrities in real life–although once I unexpectedly saw Philip Rivers at a different church in San Diego. Now he’s not nearly as famous as Kobe Bryant..but still it was funny…because half the people at the Mass didn’t know who he was. He arrived late and left a few minutes early. I guess these celebrities don’t like to be mobbed by the public.

9. jamkarat - Aug 16, 2011 at 1:01 PM

So Kobe is criticized for “doing whatever he wants”, but the idiot taking cell phone pictures in church,or pointing his cellphone at someone as if taking a picture and invading someone else’s privacy is okay?
    I think Kobe was within his rights and the ‘he hurt my wrist’ man sees a payday.
    I grabbed a cell phone from a man who appeared to be taking pics of my 15 year old granddaughter. The only legal threat was made by me; however when his wife came onto the scene I suspect that other threats were made by her.

• progress2011 - Aug 16, 2011 at 4:58 PM

1. It’s not ” invasion of privacy ” in a public venue ! In this situation, the ” public venue ” is the church.

2. What kobe did is called – Assault & Battery

3. You are factually and legally incorrect ! Here in America, paparazzi, the media and individual American citizens have the ” FREEDOM ” to take pictures of whomever they like, in a public place.

4. That individual you assaulted should have called the police and you would have been swiftly arrested !

5. Then that person you assaulted would have had a legal right to sue you for damages. In this situation, kobe has money and if he did assault the person, he will be relieved of some of that money.

I’m sure kobe doesn’t mind losing a few hundred grand ! He probably spends that at the mall over one weekend.

10. jimeejohnson - Aug 16, 2011 at 1:42 PM

Kobe should have just let it go. The legal hassle is just not worth it.

11. tz617 - Aug 16, 2011 at 1:54 PM

“jamkarat” said “No one has the right to be taking cell phone pics of any ONE person without their permission.”

Not true. Decorum aside, in a public area anyone can take a picture of anyone they wish. That’s quite obvious when you consider that the professional leeches that photograph celebrities aren’t all in prison. Now, the question of why so many fools care about these celebrities and why pictures of them are so valuable is a whole different story.

12. satanlovesvulva - Aug 16, 2011 at 2:52 PM

I don’t blame Kobe for beating the crap out of that creep. I mean, who wants to get caught inside a church, that’s probably very embarrassing.

• jimeejohnson - Aug 18, 2011 at 12:41 PM

With your online name it is not surprising that you disparage church goers. I gave you a thumbs up, anyway!

13. troyrwhite - Aug 16, 2011 at 3:06 PM

I am a Kobe fan. Of course, none of us on this chat board know all of the details, but I would like to see a player that I am a fan of simply tell the fellow that he doesn’t appreciate his picture taken in church and leave it at that. I would hope there is more to the story other than Kobe being bothered by having his picture taken in church. I will give him the benefit of the doubt. Not sure this is newsworthy. The lawsuit might be.

14. wvan10 - Aug 16, 2011 at 3:38 PM

I can’t wait for the lockout to end. These slow news days are killing me!!

• progress2011 - Aug 16, 2011 at 5:02 PM

Me too ! I’m relegated to responding to ” stoopid ” articles ( like this one ) because there is nothing else to comment. I take an hour out of my day to see whats going on in the sports world and this is all I get !!!!

15. kobydeffender - Aug 16, 2011 at 3:46 PM

Koby and his family deserve respect and privacy. What gives us the right to disrespect his privacy while he’s at church?-

This is going waaayy too far.

16. florida727 - Aug 16, 2011 at 5:13 PM

What’s wrong with waiting until the church service is over, approaching Kobe, and politely asking, “may I take your picture Kobe, I’m just a fan of yours?” If you’re sincerely polite, very few professional athletes mind pictures being taken.

Conversely, Kobe does not have the right to take another person’s property, regardless of circumstances. Two wrongs don’t make a right (assuming you can infer that taking someone’s picture is a ‘wrong’).

• jimeejohnson - Aug 18, 2011 at 12:38 PM

Your comment shows that Floridians are as intelligent as anyone from any state.

17. stboulware - Aug 16, 2011 at 5:33 PM

The church itself is based on dishonesty, and how many people literally follow the black book word for word every day? gtfoh, I am a Kobe fan but hey in the business he is in, the people/fans/weirdos/crazies etc own you. He should know that by now.

18. musicman195959 - Aug 16, 2011 at 7:33 PM

Kobe should have done more than took the buzzards phone. Maybe the jerk was all up on Vanessa trying to get a picture. What is the clown doing taking a cellphone out in church anyway? He got what he deserved. Kobe should have threw the phone on the floor and smashed it with his foot.

• jimeejohnson - Aug 18, 2011 at 12:36 PM

Lucky for Kobe he is smarter than you!

19. satanlovesvulva - Sep 12, 2011 at 11:48 AM

jimeejohnson, you’re alright with me buddy. I won’t forget you when you’ve been thrown in hell. Ha Ha, just kidding buddy, you and I both know that hell does not exist. Satan loves you, ciao.

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches