Aug 16, 2011, 6:53 PM EDT
There is just nothing good about this story.
Former NBA (and recent college hoops) referee Troy Raymond was found dead due to suicide — a gunshot wound to the head — in a New Orleans hotel just hours after police had found his wife dead in the couple’s Houston area home, according to CBS Sports.
Raymond had spent one season in the NBA but was not brought back after 2004 when it was discovered he lied on his resume (he said he had been an Air Force pilot and had played on Colorado’s national championship football team). He had been refereeing college basketball since then (much of it in the Sun Belt Conference).
Sources told CBSSports.com that Leslie Anderson Raymond had recently asked for a divorce — and Raymond had also been informed by one coordinator of officials that he would not be re-hired to work games next season.
Our condolences go out to the family and friends of both Troy and Leslie.
- Warriors take Game 1 from Clippers 13
- Nets defense smothers Raptors, gets Brooklyn Game 1 win on road 33
- PBT Extra: Are Pacers or Spurs in any trouble in first round? 5
- All PBT’s first round playoff previews in one place 0
- Grizzlies guard Nick Calathes suspended 20 games for violating NBA’s anti-drug policy 28