Aug 16, 2011, 6:53 PM EDT
There is just nothing good about this story.
Former NBA (and recent college hoops) referee Troy Raymond was found dead due to suicide — a gunshot wound to the head — in a New Orleans hotel just hours after police had found his wife dead in the couple’s Houston area home, according to CBS Sports.
Raymond had spent one season in the NBA but was not brought back after 2004 when it was discovered he lied on his resume (he said he had been an Air Force pilot and had played on Colorado’s national championship football team). He had been refereeing college basketball since then (much of it in the Sun Belt Conference).
Sources told CBSSports.com that Leslie Anderson Raymond had recently asked for a divorce — and Raymond had also been informed by one coordinator of officials that he would not be re-hired to work games next season.
Our condolences go out to the family and friends of both Troy and Leslie.
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 0
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 10
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 12
- After Rio Olympics next summer, who takes over at Team USA coach? 6
- Kobe, Shaq discuss regrets over feud that ended their Lakers era 47
- NBA fines Clippers for attempting to circumvent salary cap with DeAndre Jordan 10
- The most overlooked – and maybe most significant – reason Carmelo Anthony won’t waive his no-trade clause this season 17
- Phil Jackson is optimistic about Knicks coming season, except the start 7