Aug 16, 2011, 6:53 PM EDT
There is just nothing good about this story.
Former NBA (and recent college hoops) referee Troy Raymond was found dead due to suicide — a gunshot wound to the head — in a New Orleans hotel just hours after police had found his wife dead in the couple’s Houston area home, according to CBS Sports.
Raymond had spent one season in the NBA but was not brought back after 2004 when it was discovered he lied on his resume (he said he had been an Air Force pilot and had played on Colorado’s national championship football team). He had been refereeing college basketball since then (much of it in the Sun Belt Conference).
Sources told CBSSports.com that Leslie Anderson Raymond had recently asked for a divorce — and Raymond had also been informed by one coordinator of officials that he would not be re-hired to work games next season.
Our condolences go out to the family and friends of both Troy and Leslie.
- Andray Blatche signs deal to play in China next season 4
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 38
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 12
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 18
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 15
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 5
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 38