Aug 16, 2011, 6:53 PM EST
There is just nothing good about this story.
Former NBA (and recent college hoops) referee Troy Raymond was found dead due to suicide — a gunshot wound to the head — in a New Orleans hotel just hours after police had found his wife dead in the couple’s Houston area home, according to CBS Sports.
Raymond had spent one season in the NBA but was not brought back after 2004 when it was discovered he lied on his resume (he said he had been an Air Force pilot and had played on Colorado’s national championship football team). He had been refereeing college basketball since then (much of it in the Sun Belt Conference).
Sources told CBSSports.com that Leslie Anderson Raymond had recently asked for a divorce — and Raymond had also been informed by one coordinator of officials that he would not be re-hired to work games next season.
Our condolences go out to the family and friends of both Troy and Leslie.
- Gregg Popovich to miss game following ‘minor medical procedure’ 4
- PBT Extra: Anthony Davis’s MVP-level play, the Spurs and things to be thankful for 7
- Report: Knicks worried Carmelo Anthony’s back issue may be season-long concern 10
- Report: Lakers working on a one-year deal with Earl Clark 13
- Tom Thibodeau says Derrick Rose ‘didn’t re-injure himself’ after playing just 10 minutes in loss to Nuggets 20
- Lakers granted $4.85 million disabled-player exception for Steve Nash injury 13
- Kobe Bryant: “We’re not a 3-11 team. We’re not.” 27
- Tom Thibodeau is getting tired of answering Derrick Rose questions 15