Aug 16, 2011, 12:12 PM EDT
Donnie Walsh is currently a consultant for the Knicks. Which essentially means he is being paid to go away. That despite getting the team back to the playoffs and brining in stars while cutting the payroll in half. Most places that gets you a raise and job security, with the Knicks it gets you kicked to the curb.
Walsh wanted Chris Mullin, the former Warriors GM and new Hall of Famer, to follow him as the decision maker in New York, but the battle over who makes the calls on players and the line of succession is part of why Walsh is back home in Indiana.
Mullin and Walsh are tight, and Mullin doesn’t think that Walsh is done he told the New York Daily News.
“He’s as good as anyone,” Mullin said Monday following a taping of “CenterStage” on YES. “I think it’s just a matter of if he wants to do it. And what I know of Donnie, he’s a worker. He likes to work. That’s part of his makeup. I haven’t talked to him about it but if you asked me I would think (Walsh will work again).”
The question is health and how bad Walsh wants another chance. He has had three surgeries in the past three years and is now 70 years old.
“He’s getting healthy,” Mullin said. “He was never as bad as people let on.”
A lot of teams would be better off with Walsh making the basketball decisions. Including the Knicks. If he wants the gig next year, teams would be smart to see if he will take it.
- Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable 12
- Derrick Rose told Carmelo Anthony that if he came to Chicago “the game would be easy” 23
- LeBron James strips on stage, throws clothes into crowd (video) 11
- Is DeMarcus Cousins the big man Team USA can lean on? 13
- Lakers make it official — finally — and hire Byron Scott as head coach 13
- Derrick Rose: “I’ve become a smarter player, but I’m mad it took me seven years to learn it.” 29
- Shelly Sterling beats Donald Sterling in court, clears sale of Clippers to Steve Ballmer 69
- Report: Timberwolves have talked to Sixers about Thaddeus Young as Kevin Love replacement 26