Aug 15, 2011, 8:40 AM EDT
Rudy Fernandez was trying to find a way back to Spain last summer, his agent and he getting fined thanks to public demands, but with a couple years left on his NBA deal there was no path.
The lockout has provided him one. There have been rumors for a while now that Fernandez was looking to sign with Real Madrid, one of the powerhouses of the Spanish league.
He has agreed to terms with the club, according to Sportando (via a Spanish publication).
According to Spanish media (Onda Madrid was the first one to report), Rudy Fernandez agreed to terms with Real Madrid for the next four seasons. The Spanish guard will return to NBA just for the season 2011-12 when lockout ends playing with Dallas Mavericks who acquired him via trade during in June. In the summer 2012, Rudy Fernandez will definitely return to Spain and Real Madrid.
Fernandez seems a good fit with the Mavericks (certainly an upgrade in bench shooting over Peja Stojakovic), but if the heart of the 25-year-old guard is to get out of the NBA, after next season he would be a restricted free agent and he can just go.
- Pacers find their offense, find balance, find Heat’s respect 1
- Pacers get big games from Roy Hibbert and Paul George, take Game 2 from Heat to even the series 12
- LeBron James-Paul George matchup reaches awesome levels in Game 2 5
- John Calipari comes to defense of Derrick Rose 9
- Tony Allen fined $5,000 for overacting on Ginobili foul 13
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (124)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (83)
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers (68)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell (60)
- Penguins bounce Senators
- Pacers take down Heat in Game 2 to even series
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy
- HBT: Granderson breaks pinky in Yanks' win
- PHT: NHL to present Coyotes ownership plans
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million