Aug 15, 2011, 7:21 PM EDT
When we talk about the wear and tear on a player’s body, we can quickly look up how many regular season minutes a player has racked up.
But that leaves out the playoffs. For a player like Kobe Bryant, that is 8,165 minutes — the equivalent of three more 82 game seasons at his regular season minutes average. That is a lot of additional wear and tear.
So when you combine regular season and playoff minutes, who has racked up the most minutes in NBA history? Henry at TrueHoop wanted to know, asked Basketball-Reference.com to crunch the numbers (because they do it better than anyone).
Your all time Top 10:
1. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar 66,297
2. Karl Malone 62,759
3. Wilt Chamberlain 55,418
4. John Stockton 54,162
5. Elvin Hayes 54,160
6. John Havlicek 53,331
7. Reggie Miller 52,927
8. Gary Payton 52,599
9. Jason Kidd 52,386
10. Robert Parish 51,881
Most of the players are of a modern generation, which shouldn’t be a shock due to superior training, diet and surgery (knee injuries that ended your career before keep you out six weeks now).
One last thought — we forget how great Kareem was for how long. When you talk about the greatest players ever, he has to be in the conversation.
It’s an interesting list, go check it out.
- George Hill not yet cleared to play for Pacers in Game 6 vs. Knicks, remains a game-time decision 0
- Report: Bobcats changing name back to Hornets 14
- Dwyane Wade grants wish, shows up at girl’s senior prom 9
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson 38
- Report: Vinny Del Negro to meet with Clippers’ owner Donald Sterling this weekend 3
- Watch Live: Red Wings at Blackhawks
- Swimmer Phelps denies comeback rumors
- LIVE: Third round of the HP Byron Nelson Championship
- LIVE: Day 1 of Indy 500 Qualifying
- LIVE: Action from Hangtown Motocross Classic
- PHT: No surgery needed for Staal after brutal hit
- PHT: Crosby's hat trick powers Penguins past Senators
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars
- Play Video: Knicks avoid elimination
- Play Video: Heat finish off Bulls, James 'has no energy left'
- Play Video: Health woes make Heat vulnerable
- Play Video: Good news for Sacramento, Kings stay