Aug 15, 2011, 8:30 PM EDT
Normally by this point in the summer we would have seen guys like No. 3 overall pick Enes Kanter in Summer League, and we would have overanalyzed his game and how he could do against rookies and guys who populate the end of an NBA bench.
But not this year. Thank you very much lockout.
Now Kanter is playing for his native Turkey as it prepares for EuroBasket, the 2012 Olympic qualifying tournament of Europe. That means you can stream his games, watch and start overanalyzing now. If you’re a real hard-core hoops junkie. Fortunately, for that we have the amazing Sebastian Pruiti and NBAplaybook.com.
On offense, Kanter showed what we had heard about — quick feet and a soft touch when he gets the ball on the block. He seemed able to get good position and knows what to do with it. But if you can do those things in the NBA, you will see a double team and that is where Kanter ran into some issues.
Unlike some of the best post players in the NBA, who anticipate doubles and uses that against the defense by kicking it out, Kanter always seems to have scoring on his mind when he makes the catch on the block. That’s a good thing when a double doesn’t come, but when it does, that can lead to problems.
Those issues echo over to defense — one-on-one in the post Kanter showed physicality and good defensive play, but when it came to help defense he struggled.
Kanter also struggled setting screens.
What’s the pattern? Kanter struggles at the team aspects of the game, which shouldn’t be a shock considering the NCAA made him sit out last year in Kentucky and he didn’t play a ton the year before that. Help defense, recognizing the double, those are things that come with experience. This is a guy without a lot of game experience, so we should expect him to be behind on that curve.
How quickly he picks all that up will determine how quickly his minutes will increase with the Jazz.
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Cleveland may want to cover Curry in the left corner 1
- It’s official: Scott Skiles hired as head coach of Orlando Magic 16
- PBT Podcast: Talking Thibodeau/Bulls divorce; future for Rockets, Hawks 0
- Warriors’ Klay Thompson officially diagnosed with concussion 17
- Klay Thompson should not have been cleared to return to Game 5 after concussion evaluation 15
- Dwight Howard suspended one game after foul switcheroo 18
- Three coaches who may replace Tom Thibodeau in Chicago 12
- Report: Kevin Love going to “look around” this summer as free agent; Celtics, Lakers, Rockets possible 47