Aug 15, 2011, 12:23 PM EST
Of all the things that are frustrating about the NBA lockout — and one could write 95 theses on what is frustrating and tack it to a locker room door — this may be the thing that gets under my skin most:
We all knew it was coming. For years. Yet there has been no real effort even yet by the two sides to find a middle ground. My brain understands that all negotiations drag out until the pressure builds on one or both sides to compromise and we are not there yet with the NBA. My guy wants to throw Billy Hunter and David Stern in a room and have Jon Jones start kicking a– until they reach a deal.
Also, we all pretty much know games will be lost. Yet, still no talks. Stern can’t meet for a couple weeks, which seems fine with the union.
At the very least, West expects the NBA to lose games for the first time since the 1998-99 strike, when it ended with a 50-game season.
“We’ve been preparing for this since we signed the (collective bargaining) extension in ’05,” West says. “As rookies have been coming in, we were telling guys, ‘Save your money.’”
West, who took the gutsy course of becoming a free agent (opting out of his Hornets deal) when he didn’t know what the new Collective Bargaining Agreement would look like, will be fine. He’s got his money and not spent it on a third Bentley. For his dog. Like he is on the court, off the court he is solid and fundamentally sound. He is going to get paid and whatever he gets will work for him.
But man, this whole lockout thing is frustrating.
- Duke’s Jabari Parker doesn’t back away from Carmelo Anthony comparison 5
- Michael Carter-Williams returns to Sixers lineup Friday against Nets 5
- Report: Bulls not looking to trade Luol Deng. Why would you think that? 14
- Kendrick Perkins tells Joakim Noah to “get your a– up out’ of Thunder locker room 35
- The Extra Pass: Chicago’s never-ending story, plus Thursday’s recaps 2
- Kobe Bryant is out six weeks with fracture in the left knee (70)
- LeBron did foul Paul George on final shot but there was no call (VIDEO) (60)
- Chicago columnist hammers Derrick Rose as no longer humble star (56)
- Report: Heat have interest in Celtics’ Jordan Crawford (50)
- LeBron angrily goes after Mario Chalmers on the Heat bench (VIDEO) (50)