Aug 15, 2011, 3:06 PM EDT
About the start of next season — whenever that is — we should be done talking about “The Decision.” Maybe we won’t be, maybe people will not let it die, but it feels like it should. LeBron James himself has said he would have handled it differently. The event turned all of the nation outside of South Florida against the Heat, but next season it stops being about The Decision and only about if the Heat can live up to their potential as a team.
As a team, the Heat just need to own up to the decision and move on.
“I say you own up to it. We all make mistakes. I think anybody would be kidding themselves if they thought they were perfect at anything. I mean why change it? We’ve already went through with everything. Whether good or bad, whether it was a good decision or bad decision, or we should have done this, could of done that, if we would of done this. We are here now. Everything has happened, so let’s just own up to it. Yeah we did it. Yes. If it was a mistake? If I see it as a mistake and here’s the reasons why, but here’s the reasons why it is going to help us in the long run.”
Bosh got caught in the crossfire at the Heat, with people saying he did not do enough, that his numbers dropped off. Well, of course they did, he went from being option No. 1 to option No. 3 in an offense. He has accepted that and knows that is the first step to getting the Heat where they need to be. He will have big games — when he was exploiting mismatches the Heat were feeding him plenty in the playoffs. Thing is, LeBron and Dwyane Wade are walking mismatches, so the Heat create a lot of challenges.
We’ll see if the Heat can own up to it and move on. We’ll see if the fans can move on. But it is starting to feel like time to move on.
- For two games James Harden has been brilliant, but that’s not what anybody is talking about 11
- Warriors survive James Harden in Game 2, take 2-0 lead in Western Conference finals 16
- PBT Extra: No DeMarre Carroll leaves Hawks in tough spot 3
- PBT Extra: J.R. makes case for hot hand theory, is loved in Cleveland 7
- PBT Extra: Draft Lottery winers start with Lakers 23
- Stephen Curry, LeBron James unanimous choices, lead All-NBA First Team 24
- Rockets vs. Warriors Game 2: Five things to watch 8
- Hawks face uphill climb after DeMarre Carroll injury 10