Aug 14, 2011, 6:00 PM EDT
This one is difficult to get too upset over, unlike the lockout layoffs. The San Jose Mercury News reports that new Warriors owner Joe Lacob has made good on his intention to replace the business side staff. From the Mercury News:
Warriors co-owner Joe Lacob confirmed today that his promised total reconstruction of the franchise’s business side has begun.
In recent days, Lacob has, in his words, “relieved” most of the team’s existing VP- and senior-VP-level business-side executives.
(He already re-did his basketball side with Jerry West, Bob Myers, Kirk Lacob & Mark Jackson.)
Basically, including team president Robert Rowell, most of the senior business side executives Lacob and Peter Guber inherited in November are now out.
The only exceptions: The top staffers in the sales department.
This is what happens when new ownership takes over. They want their people. You trust your guys, and you want to make sure you have control over what happens. The Warriors are in a good enough market to profit regardless of how they’re run, so it’s hard to argue, especially when you consider the work the current regime has done in building local relationships and filling the Oracle. But again, it’s Lacob’s party now and he can invite who he wants to… and ask whoever he wants to leave.
It’s never good to have people laid off, it’s just a situation that sucks. But at least these are mostly people with high salaries who can likely survive for a bit and have a great chance of getting hired somewhere else, unlike people in the lower rungs. The decision to keep both the PR department and sales are also pretty solid given their reputations. Lacob is intent on remaking the Warriors in his own image. This is just another step.
- Celtics owner: Rajon Rondo ‘super stubborn,’ harder than average to coach 5
- Bruce Bowen says blame for James Harden’s defense falls on McHale, Rockets 12
- NBA to review domestic violence policies in wake of NFL’s ugliness. It shouldn’t have taken that. 13
- Cavaliers lift ban on fan who ran onto court with LeBron James shirt 16
- Blake Griffin said he knew Donald Sterling was racist, wasn’t really surprised by tape 14
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Chicago Bulls 11
- Tony Parker hits a back over-the-head halfcourt shot (VIDEO) 8
- Timberwolves ‘not necessarily in a rush’ to agree to contract extension with Ricky Rubio 18