Aug 14, 2011, 11:34 AM EDT
Here’s your quarterly update on Eddy Curry’s continuing efforts to lose an entire person in weight.
As the former Knicks center continues to try and get back into shape to make a roster next season, with the Heat at the top of his list, he’s trying to lose as much of that heftiness as possible. He’s been working out with noted trainer Tim Grover in Chicago day and night since his release from the Timberwolves and according to the Miami Herald, he’s dropped even more weight.
Center Eddy Curry is increasing his chances of generating serious interest from the Heat. Respected Chicago-based trainer Tim Grover said last week that since Curry’s workout with Miami in late June, he has lost another 28 pounds and is now at 300. Curry weighed 350 when he auditioned for Miami in March. Curry intrigues Pat Riley, who might offer him a minimum deal postlockout if he loses another 12 pounds or so. His skills “are there, no question,” Grover said.
At 300 pounds after five months of training, his skills aren’t the only thing that’s there without question. Hilariously, Curry was listed at 295 officially last fall for the official weight statements on rosters. So according to his official listing (which is never accurate for any player), Curry has trained for five months to gain five pounds.
Still, considering Curry was rumored to be pushing four bills at one point this year, that’s a pretty impressive amount of weight loss. If he keeps it up and can get down to 285-ish, he’ll be in range for standard NBA center size. From there it’s just a matter of convincing Pat Riley to take a chance on him. Take a quick look at the list of guys who played for the Heat in the playoffs at center, not just were on roster, but actually played (hi, Jamal Magloire!), Curry’s got as good a chance as anyone.
Good for Curry to continue with his training. It would have been easy to fall off the wagon once the lockout started.
(HT: Eddy Curry)
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Wizard’s defense peaking at right time 0
- Report: Chandler Parsons to have knee surgery, could require microfracture surgery 3
- Cavaliers’ J.R. Smith gets two-game suspension for shot to Jae Crowder’s head 27
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Draymond Green helped hold Anthony Davis in relative check 4
- Cavaliers’ Kevin Love out for entire conference semifinals (likely vs. Bulls) 9
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: LeBron got his shots despite good Celtics defense 3
- PBT Extra: For how long should J.R. Smith be suspended? 34
- Report: If Kevin Love leaves Cavaliers, Lakers are team to beat in free agency 32