Aug 14, 2011, 11:34 AM EDT
Here’s your quarterly update on Eddy Curry’s continuing efforts to lose an entire person in weight.
As the former Knicks center continues to try and get back into shape to make a roster next season, with the Heat at the top of his list, he’s trying to lose as much of that heftiness as possible. He’s been working out with noted trainer Tim Grover in Chicago day and night since his release from the Timberwolves and according to the Miami Herald, he’s dropped even more weight.
Center Eddy Curry is increasing his chances of generating serious interest from the Heat. Respected Chicago-based trainer Tim Grover said last week that since Curry’s workout with Miami in late June, he has lost another 28 pounds and is now at 300. Curry weighed 350 when he auditioned for Miami in March. Curry intrigues Pat Riley, who might offer him a minimum deal postlockout if he loses another 12 pounds or so. His skills “are there, no question,” Grover said.
At 300 pounds after five months of training, his skills aren’t the only thing that’s there without question. Hilariously, Curry was listed at 295 officially last fall for the official weight statements on rosters. So according to his official listing (which is never accurate for any player), Curry has trained for five months to gain five pounds.
Still, considering Curry was rumored to be pushing four bills at one point this year, that’s a pretty impressive amount of weight loss. If he keeps it up and can get down to 285-ish, he’ll be in range for standard NBA center size. From there it’s just a matter of convincing Pat Riley to take a chance on him. Take a quick look at the list of guys who played for the Heat in the playoffs at center, not just were on roster, but actually played (hi, Jamal Magloire!), Curry’s got as good a chance as anyone.
Good for Curry to continue with his training. It would have been easy to fall off the wagon once the lockout started.
(HT: Eddy Curry)
- 67RIEFNS: Warriors starters with Draymond Green 0
- Report: Kobe Bryant viewed Dwight Howard leaving Lakers in free agency as ‘a positive’ 20
- Report: Cavaliers have had ‘zero discussion’ on contract extension with Tristan Thompson 11
- Why I am going to miss Steve Nash 26
- Victor Oladipo out indefinitely after taking elbow in practice, suffering facial fracture 13
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New Orleans Pelicans 10
- Five teams poised to make a big leap forward this season 5
- Steve Nash to miss entire 2014-15 season with ongoing back injuries 70