Aug 13, 2011, 9:00 AM EDT
Dennis Rodman was inducted to the Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame Friday night, and his speech didn’t disappoint even if it wasn’t what we were expecting. Rodman showed up in one outfit, with a feather in his hat, then changed into another for his speech, including a jacket emblazoned with both “Pistons” and “Bulls” on it (didn’t see a Spurs mention there). He had multiple piercings in his face. But once he took the stage, a different Rodman showed up. No brash arrogance. No outrageous behavior. Just a world of emotion and gratitude from a man that came from struggle and played the game with ferocity, while living his life his way, for better or worse.
The Hall isn’t for recognizing personal greatness, it’s about professional greatness. But there was something deeply endearing about Rodman’s heartfelt discussion of his failures as a son, a husband, and father. And in the context of his career, two years after Michael Jordan’s audacious and borderline petty speech, in the midst of a depressing lockout, Rodman’s gratitude for the opportunity to play a game he loves and the influence of people like Phil Jackson and Chuck Daly rings true. Here’s video. Cheers to the Worm.
- PBT Extra: Talking Heat/Pacers, and why Indy might be optimistic 0
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell 24
- LeBron, Durant, Kobe headline All NBA First Team 21
- It’s official: Krzyzewski back to coach Team USA through Rio Olympics 1
- Hibbert said he will speak up in future, demand to be in game at end 11
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (89)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (76)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Watch LIVE: Bruins-Rangers
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks look to even series with Red Wings
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1