Aug 13, 2011, 9:00 AM EDT
Dennis Rodman was inducted to the Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame Friday night, and his speech didn’t disappoint even if it wasn’t what we were expecting. Rodman showed up in one outfit, with a feather in his hat, then changed into another for his speech, including a jacket emblazoned with both “Pistons” and “Bulls” on it (didn’t see a Spurs mention there). He had multiple piercings in his face. But once he took the stage, a different Rodman showed up. No brash arrogance. No outrageous behavior. Just a world of emotion and gratitude from a man that came from struggle and played the game with ferocity, while living his life his way, for better or worse.
The Hall isn’t for recognizing personal greatness, it’s about professional greatness. But there was something deeply endearing about Rodman’s heartfelt discussion of his failures as a son, a husband, and father. And in the context of his career, two years after Michael Jordan’s audacious and borderline petty speech, in the midst of a depressing lockout, Rodman’s gratitude for the opportunity to play a game he loves and the influence of people like Phil Jackson and Chuck Daly rings true. Here’s video. Cheers to the Worm.
- Report: Clippers just need owner’s approval to finalize Garnett, Rivers trade 1
- PBT Extra: Previewing Heat/Spurs NBA Finals Game 7 6
- Utah Jazz bring back Jerry Sloan as team consultant 6
- Celtics, Clippers restart Doc Rivers-Kevin Garnett trades talks at Chris Paul’s wish 14
- Chris Bosh to fans who left Game 6 early: ‘Don’t come back for Game 7′ 38
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 (125)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (85)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- Chris Bosh blocks Spurs’ Game 6 comeback attempt (video) (80)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Blackhawks win OT thriller
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PBT: Celts, Clips restart Doc, KG trade talks
- Posnanski: How Heat won a game of mistakes
- GTC: Tiger pulls out of AT&T citing elbow issue
- HBT: Biogenesis suspensions still likely coming
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'
- Play Video: Green breaks NBA finals 3-point record