Aug 13, 2011, 11:30 AM EDT
Phil Jackson might as well get a parking space at the Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame, he’s there so much. Friday night he helped present Tex Winter and Dennis Rodman. While he was there, the Chicago Tribune got a hold of him and asked him about his plans for retirement, since rumors continue he’d be taking over the Knicks (Mike D’Antoni wonders why everyone keeps asking this question while he’s still collecting paychecks from MSG). Jackson took a nice little shot at James Dolan and his “band.”
“No,” he said. “Im going to rewrite Knicks owner Jimmy Dolans song ‘Fix the Knicks‘. I think he needs either a better lyricist or a better musician.”
via Reunited: Phil Jackson and Jerry Krause have common cause – chicagotribune.com. Not that the song wasn’t atrocious from a musical perspective, but it would be better if Jackson were actually talking about the part where Dolan talked about Isiah Thomas. Helping him rewrite that part about being friends with Isiah would really be the best part for all. But perhaps more interesting was Jackson’s actual answer. I expected an outright “I’m done.” But instead, here’s Jackson’s response as to whether he’ll make a return to coaching.
“I’ll know in October, November, December, January or February, whenever they start the season, what it’s like to be without ball again,” he said.
So that’s not really a “I’m through, I’ll be in Montana if you need me” kind of answer. It’s just enough to leave the door open for a return. In short, if I’m Mike D’Antoni, I’m going to go ahead and keep that resume up to date. And tell the boss that his music is awesome. That can’t hurt. Also nice to see Phil can’t still take jabs, even in retirement, as sharp as ever.
- Preview: Pacers must take back paint to even series with Heat 2
- Celtics deny Nets permission to speak with head coach Doc Rivers 5
- PBT Extra: Talking Heat/Pacers, and why Indy might be optimistic 12
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell 48
- LeBron, Durant, Kobe headline All NBA First Team 25
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (124)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (91)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (77)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (71)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Live Extra: Watch coverage of Carb Day at Indy
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights