Aug 13, 2011, 11:30 AM EDT
Phil Jackson might as well get a parking space at the Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame, he’s there so much. Friday night he helped present Tex Winter and Dennis Rodman. While he was there, the Chicago Tribune got a hold of him and asked him about his plans for retirement, since rumors continue he’d be taking over the Knicks (Mike D’Antoni wonders why everyone keeps asking this question while he’s still collecting paychecks from MSG). Jackson took a nice little shot at James Dolan and his “band.”
“No,” he said. “Im going to rewrite Knicks owner Jimmy Dolans song ‘Fix the Knicks‘. I think he needs either a better lyricist or a better musician.”
via Reunited: Phil Jackson and Jerry Krause have common cause – chicagotribune.com. Not that the song wasn’t atrocious from a musical perspective, but it would be better if Jackson were actually talking about the part where Dolan talked about Isiah Thomas. Helping him rewrite that part about being friends with Isiah would really be the best part for all. But perhaps more interesting was Jackson’s actual answer. I expected an outright “I’m done.” But instead, here’s Jackson’s response as to whether he’ll make a return to coaching.
“I’ll know in October, November, December, January or February, whenever they start the season, what it’s like to be without ball again,” he said.
So that’s not really a “I’m through, I’ll be in Montana if you need me” kind of answer. It’s just enough to leave the door open for a return. In short, if I’m Mike D’Antoni, I’m going to go ahead and keep that resume up to date. And tell the boss that his music is awesome. That can’t hurt. Also nice to see Phil can’t still take jabs, even in retirement, as sharp as ever.
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 14
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 30
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 85
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 54
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 30
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 43
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 59
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 4