Aug 13, 2011, 11:30 AM EDT
Phil Jackson might as well get a parking space at the Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame, he’s there so much. Friday night he helped present Tex Winter and Dennis Rodman. While he was there, the Chicago Tribune got a hold of him and asked him about his plans for retirement, since rumors continue he’d be taking over the Knicks (Mike D’Antoni wonders why everyone keeps asking this question while he’s still collecting paychecks from MSG). Jackson took a nice little shot at James Dolan and his “band.”
“No,” he said. “Im going to rewrite Knicks owner Jimmy Dolans song ‘Fix the Knicks‘. I think he needs either a better lyricist or a better musician.”
via Reunited: Phil Jackson and Jerry Krause have common cause – chicagotribune.com. Not that the song wasn’t atrocious from a musical perspective, but it would be better if Jackson were actually talking about the part where Dolan talked about Isiah Thomas. Helping him rewrite that part about being friends with Isiah would really be the best part for all. But perhaps more interesting was Jackson’s actual answer. I expected an outright “I’m done.” But instead, here’s Jackson’s response as to whether he’ll make a return to coaching.
“I’ll know in October, November, December, January or February, whenever they start the season, what it’s like to be without ball again,” he said.
So that’s not really a “I’m through, I’ll be in Montana if you need me” kind of answer. It’s just enough to leave the door open for a return. In short, if I’m Mike D’Antoni, I’m going to go ahead and keep that resume up to date. And tell the boss that his music is awesome. That can’t hurt. Also nice to see Phil can’t still take jabs, even in retirement, as sharp as ever.
- Coach K had DeMarcus Cousins as USA’s backup big long before final cuts 0
- World Cup preview: No Durant, no problem USA still one of two teams with legit shot to win gold 2
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 32
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 35
- Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner 9
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 48
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 20
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 37