Aug 12, 2011, 12:18 PM EDT
Friday, Chris Mullin deservedly gets his place in basketball’s Hall of Fame.
When you think of Chris Mullin what comes to mind? The flat-top haircut for sure. In New York it’s his years at St. John’s. Maybe it’s him draining threes on the 1992 Dream Team.
For me, it’s Run TMC.
Tim Hardaway, Mitch Richmond and Chris Mullin putting on a show with the Warriors. They were not better than the Lakers of that era, but they were just as fun to watch.
Mullin is back in good with the Warriors (thanks to the new ownership) and while there are plans to put Mullin’s number in the rafters finally, he told the San Jose Mercury News he would love to see all of Run TMC put up there together.
Mullin suggests retiring all three jersey numbers at the same time — Run TMC lifted into the rafters at Oracle Arena in one unifying, thunderous moment?
“I would like that,” Mullin said this week. “I think the fans would like it, too. … To me, it doesn’t always have to be about one person. I know I’d feel more comfortable. That would feel natural to me.
Richmond and Hardaway were not as iconic members of the Warriors as Mullin (who went on to be the team’s GM after his playing days). But there would be something special, something celebratory of a great time in Warriors history if all three did go up together.
- Cavaliers GM admits concerns about rim protection on defense 0
- Coach K had DeMarcus Cousins as USA’s backup big long before final cuts 6
- World Cup preview: No Durant, no problem USA still one of two teams with legit shot to win gold 6
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 34
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 35
- Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner 9
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 48
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 20