Aug 12, 2011, 12:18 PM EDT
Friday, Chris Mullin deservedly gets his place in basketball’s Hall of Fame.
When you think of Chris Mullin what comes to mind? The flat-top haircut for sure. In New York it’s his years at St. John’s. Maybe it’s him draining threes on the 1992 Dream Team.
For me, it’s Run TMC.
Tim Hardaway, Mitch Richmond and Chris Mullin putting on a show with the Warriors. They were not better than the Lakers of that era, but they were just as fun to watch.
Mullin is back in good with the Warriors (thanks to the new ownership) and while there are plans to put Mullin’s number in the rafters finally, he told the San Jose Mercury News he would love to see all of Run TMC put up there together.
Mullin suggests retiring all three jersey numbers at the same time — Run TMC lifted into the rafters at Oracle Arena in one unifying, thunderous moment?
“I would like that,” Mullin said this week. “I think the fans would like it, too. … To me, it doesn’t always have to be about one person. I know I’d feel more comfortable. That would feel natural to me.
Richmond and Hardaway were not as iconic members of the Warriors as Mullin (who went on to be the team’s GM after his playing days). But there would be something special, something celebratory of a great time in Warriors history if all three did go up together.
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 31
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14
- After Rio Olympics next summer, who takes over at Team USA coach? 8
- Kobe, Shaq discuss regrets over feud that ended their Lakers era 52