Aug 12, 2011, 12:18 PM EDT
Friday, Chris Mullin deservedly gets his place in basketball’s Hall of Fame.
When you think of Chris Mullin what comes to mind? The flat-top haircut for sure. In New York it’s his years at St. John’s. Maybe it’s him draining threes on the 1992 Dream Team.
For me, it’s Run TMC.
Tim Hardaway, Mitch Richmond and Chris Mullin putting on a show with the Warriors. They were not better than the Lakers of that era, but they were just as fun to watch.
Mullin is back in good with the Warriors (thanks to the new ownership) and while there are plans to put Mullin’s number in the rafters finally, he told the San Jose Mercury News he would love to see all of Run TMC put up there together.
Mullin suggests retiring all three jersey numbers at the same time — Run TMC lifted into the rafters at Oracle Arena in one unifying, thunderous moment?
“I would like that,” Mullin said this week. “I think the fans would like it, too. … To me, it doesn’t always have to be about one person. I know I’d feel more comfortable. That would feel natural to me.
Richmond and Hardaway were not as iconic members of the Warriors as Mullin (who went on to be the team’s GM after his playing days). But there would be something special, something celebratory of a great time in Warriors history if all three did go up together.
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New York Knicks 7
- Klay Thompson’s agent: Thompson better two-way shooting guard than Kobe Bryant 27
- Report: Greg Oden’s drinking an issue during season, alleged domestic assault 26
- Kevin Durant calls Allen Iverson “pound for pound” best ever 29
- PBT Extra: What players looked good at World Cup? 4
- Time for FIBA/NBA to adopt soccer model: Only one major tournament every four years 16
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Brooklyn Nets 3
- Five lessons learned from the FIBA World Cup 10