Aug 12, 2011, 6:44 PM EDT
Kobe Bryant is not going to Turkey. But other suitors still are seeking him out.
Kobe and his agent Rob Pelinka met with representatives of Besiktas last week and the talks have broken off because the two sides could not reach a financial deal, reports Sportando.net.
According to Obrad Fimic of Alti Sport who was negotiating with Besiktas on behalf of Kobe Bryant and his agent Rob Pelinka, the proposal of the Turkish team for the Lakers star is still too low. Kobe and his entourage decided not to accept it and give up on the negotiations with Besiktas, team who already signed Deron Williams. The two parts tried to reach an agreement but the money offered by the club from Istanbul were not up to the amount expected by Bryant. According to rumors close to the player, there is another European, Euroleague team on Kobe but the name of the club is still unknown.
While I have not scouted the Turkish league, my guess is that a D-Will and Kobe backcourt would have done pretty well. Too bad for Besiktas that didn’t work out.
I’ve said all along that it was unlikely Kobe would play anywhere overseas — few teams could meet his financial requirements and he would be putting more wear and tear on knees that he wants to carry him to at least one more ring. While there is no doubt some other interested European teams out there, that is just not likely to happen.
That said, if the lockout drags on into November, don’t be shocked to see Kobe consider playing in China. There are teams there with some big money sponsors and he is already a big brand there. Let’s just hope it doesn’t come to that.
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 21
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 11
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 15
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 15
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 5
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 33
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 25