Dennis Rodman gives emotional Hall of Fame speech

Aug 12, 2011, 10:38 PM EDT

Basketball Hall of Fame Enshrinement Ceremony - Red Carpet Getty Images

Hall of Fame induction ceremonies are by their nature emotional. This year’s was no different. There were memorable moments, watching Tex Winter get up to the stage, Artis Gilmore finally being recognized, Theresa Edwards’ powerful speech.

Dennis Rodman was Dennis Rodman — raw, emotional, wearing a sequin jacket with his number and saying Pistons and Bulls — and in the end powerful like few others.

“I didn’t play the game for the money. I didn’t play the game to be famous. What you see here is an illusion, that I love to be an individual that is very colorful….

“I could have been anywhere in the world. I could have been dead. I could have been a drug dealer. I could have been homeless, I was homeless. A lot of you guys here, a lot of you guys in the Hall of Fame know what I’m talking about, living in the projects. You just want to get out of the projects. And I did that, but it took a lot of hard work and a lot of bumps along the road…

“People ask if I have any regrets as a basketball player, I have one regret: I wish I was a better father.

Rodman talked about the pain of a dad who made money writing a book about him but never spoke to him. He talked about his mother, how their relationship was strained and he felt bad about that. He also talked about the four men who played the father role for him — Phil Jackson, Jerry Buss, Chuck Daly and James Rich. He thanked Michael Jordan and Scottie Pippen.

We will get up the video soon. You need to see it (with the kids out of the room). But in the end, this was vintage Rodman. Flamboyant, raw and true.

1. blueintown - Aug 12, 2011 at 11:08 PM

Your opening sentence isn’t a sentence.

2. dysraw1 - Aug 13, 2011 at 12:17 AM

congradulations D. Rodman. one of my favorite nuts of all times

3. sportsvibe - Aug 13, 2011 at 1:30 AM

Just watched watched the Rodman HOF speech and you were right it was pretty good stuff! http://www.csnchicago.com/pages/video?PID=6cLLTB-ZvkrNGaNZ_EV0cdSfPbYazPyqFiDgw6v

4. rreducla1 - Aug 13, 2011 at 3:41 AM

It won’t get much attention, but the speech by Reece Tatum III, the son of Harlem Globetrotter Goose Tatum, was very good. Tatum said that his dad was buried in an unmarked grave with no service back in the 1960s, and Marques Haynes, his contemporary on the Trotters, found out about this, went to the grave site, brought a bible, and spoke. Marques Haynes, now 85 years old, was on stage, and Tatum III thanked him on behalf of his dad. Good stuff.

5. rome38 - Aug 13, 2011 at 5:51 AM

Dennis has to be the greatest rebounder the league as ever seen battled with the best in the paint shack barkely Malone he battled shack when all the centers were intimidated by him scared to battle him congratulations well deserved hall a famer

6. brockw82 - Aug 13, 2011 at 1:07 PM

Much love Dennis, you were one of a kind, wore your heart on your sleeve, said and did what you wanted – and most importantly, backed it all up on the court!

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches