Aug 12, 2011, 11:01 AM EDT
In some ways, Delonte West is the kind of NBA player who should be looking overseas during the lockout.
He’s a free agent so he doesn’t need an opt-out clause if he doesn’t want it. And while West makes good money by your and my standards (he made $1 million last season) he is not making stratospheric NBA money — he has a limited window of time to make as much money as he can and taking a year off is not ideal.
But West isn’t going anywhere, and his legal troubles are to blame. He tweeted this Thursday:
Can’t even go get that over seas money.. Judge said it’s a no go on leaving the country…
Remember West was arrested in September of 2009 West when speeding through Maryland on a three-wheel motorcycle while carrying two loaded handguns, a loaded shotgun and a hunting knife. All without a permit. He took a plea deal that included parole.
So West will not be getting any money from a team in China, nor even reaching a deal to be in British soap operas.
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: Dwyane Wade is going to will Heat into playoffs 0
- Sad news: Craig Sager announces his cancer has returned 8
- NBA players’ union head believes new labor deal can be reached without a work stoppage 9
- Kendrick Perkins says you’re blowing the LeBron James/Kevin Love thing way out of proportion 20
- Mark Cuban rips officials, NBA: ‘It’s criminal’ how Monta Ellis doesn’t get calls 25
- Shaquille O’Neal says he regrets leaving Magic for Lakers 43
- Cavaliers coach David Blatt: ‘LeBron James is our MVP’ 22
- No Durant, what does that mean for Thunder in these playoffs? Trouble. 15