Aug 12, 2011, 11:01 AM EDT
In some ways, Delonte West is the kind of NBA player who should be looking overseas during the lockout.
He’s a free agent so he doesn’t need an opt-out clause if he doesn’t want it. And while West makes good money by your and my standards (he made $1 million last season) he is not making stratospheric NBA money — he has a limited window of time to make as much money as he can and taking a year off is not ideal.
But West isn’t going anywhere, and his legal troubles are to blame. He tweeted this Thursday:
Can’t even go get that over seas money.. Judge said it’s a no go on leaving the country…
Remember West was arrested in September of 2009 West when speeding through Maryland on a three-wheel motorcycle while carrying two loaded handguns, a loaded shotgun and a hunting knife. All without a permit. He took a plea deal that included parole.
So West will not be getting any money from a team in China, nor even reaching a deal to be in British soap operas.
- Preview: Pacers must take back paint to even series with Heat 0
- Celtics deny Nets permission to speak with head coach Doc Rivers 5
- PBT Extra: Talking Heat/Pacers, and why Indy might be optimistic 10
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell 48
- LeBron, Durant, Kobe headline All NBA First Team 25
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (91)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (77)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (70)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Live Extra: Watch coverage of Carb Day at Indy
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional