Aug 12, 2011, 4:58 PM EST
It’s not about the money.
If Ron Artest goes and plays for the Cheshire Jets — and he really want to — he would make less than most of you reading this. Basically everyone reading this who isn’t a student. And even some of them (especially the “students” playing football at Ohio State).
Artest said he will make between $1,500 to $2,500 a month playing for the Jets, although that’s not definitive since the deal isn’t finalized.
Soon-to-be Metta World Peace would pad that income with marketing opportunities, ways he could raise his profile in Great Britain, such as possibly being on a British soap opera. Although I see Artest as a better fit on an episode of “Dr. Who.”
For Artest, playing overseas is about fun, not the money (he potentially risks the $21 million he has on his NBA deal, although his agent is looking for insurance). That makes his intentions more pure than some big name player signing to play in China because he can help increase his brand and sell more shoes.
- Report: Jimmy Butler could miss three to four weeks with elbow injury 2
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: James Harden, LeBron James want your MVP vote 11
- Report: Sixers agree to buyout with JaVale McGee; he can sign with contender 31
- Bulls’ Jimmy Butler leaves with elbow injury, does not return (VIDEO) 0
- Adam Silver says data may prove Gregg Popovich right in terms of resting multiple players 17
- Rockets general manager Daryl Morey proposes loosening NBA trade rules 6
- Derrick Rose starts rehab, in “good spirits” after knee surgery 11
- Russell Westbrook undergoes procedure to address cheek fracture, will be re-evaluated next week 6