Aug 12, 2011, 4:58 PM EST
It’s not about the money.
If Ron Artest goes and plays for the Cheshire Jets — and he really want to — he would make less than most of you reading this. Basically everyone reading this who isn’t a student. And even some of them (especially the “students” playing football at Ohio State).
Artest said he will make between $1,500 to $2,500 a month playing for the Jets, although that’s not definitive since the deal isn’t finalized.
Soon-to-be Metta World Peace would pad that income with marketing opportunities, ways he could raise his profile in Great Britain, such as possibly being on a British soap opera. Although I see Artest as a better fit on an episode of “Dr. Who.”
For Artest, playing overseas is about fun, not the money (he potentially risks the $21 million he has on his NBA deal, although his agent is looking for insurance). That makes his intentions more pure than some big name player signing to play in China because he can help increase his brand and sell more shoes.
- Andrew Bogut undergoes PRP therapy on knee, out indefinitely 3
- Report: Mavericks trading for Rajon Rondo could happen ‘sooner rather than later’ 6
- Carmelo Anthony introduces his latest signature shoe, the Jordan Melo M11 7
- Report: Rondo “open” to re-signing in Dallas, Houston if traded there 18
- PBT’s Wednesday Night NBA Winners/Losers: You will not question if Memphis is legit again 17
- Grizzlies top Spurs in triple overtime. Best game of the season. So far. 5
- Report: Mavericks and Celtics in ‘substantive discussion’ about Rajon Rondo trade 24
- Report: Celtics now more willing to trade Rajon Rondo 13