Aug 12, 2011, 4:58 PM EDT
It’s not about the money.
If Ron Artest goes and plays for the Cheshire Jets — and he really want to — he would make less than most of you reading this. Basically everyone reading this who isn’t a student. And even some of them (especially the “students” playing football at Ohio State).
Artest said he will make between $1,500 to $2,500 a month playing for the Jets, although that’s not definitive since the deal isn’t finalized.
Soon-to-be Metta World Peace would pad that income with marketing opportunities, ways he could raise his profile in Great Britain, such as possibly being on a British soap opera. Although I see Artest as a better fit on an episode of “Dr. Who.”
For Artest, playing overseas is about fun, not the money (he potentially risks the $21 million he has on his NBA deal, although his agent is looking for insurance). That makes his intentions more pure than some big name player signing to play in China because he can help increase his brand and sell more shoes.
- Seven standout players from Las Vegas Summer League 5
- Maverick Carter: LeBron James and Dwyane Wade still speak nearly daily 12
- Red hot Ray McCallum leads Sacramento Kings to Summer League title with 77-68 win against Houston 3
- Lakers great Michael Cooper diagnosed with cancer 14
- Report: Stan Van Gundy tells Josh Smith, barring unexpected trade, forward will start season with Pistons 7
- Mike Krzyzewski would trade Andrew Wiggins for Kevin Love with “not one second of hesitancy” 70
- Mario Chalmers: “I never thought anybody would want to leave Miami for Cleveland” 66
- Las Vegas Summer League review: How did Andrew Wiggins, other lottery picks fare? 14