Aug 12, 2011, 4:58 PM EDT
It’s not about the money.
If Ron Artest goes and plays for the Cheshire Jets — and he really want to — he would make less than most of you reading this. Basically everyone reading this who isn’t a student. And even some of them (especially the “students” playing football at Ohio State).
Artest said he will make between $1,500 to $2,500 a month playing for the Jets, although that’s not definitive since the deal isn’t finalized.
Soon-to-be Metta World Peace would pad that income with marketing opportunities, ways he could raise his profile in Great Britain, such as possibly being on a British soap opera. Although I see Artest as a better fit on an episode of “Dr. Who.”
For Artest, playing overseas is about fun, not the money (he potentially risks the $21 million he has on his NBA deal, although his agent is looking for insurance). That makes his intentions more pure than some big name player signing to play in China because he can help increase his brand and sell more shoes.
- Kobe Bryant thinks he could physically play beyond contract extension 0
- Trey Burke, in wake of nude-photo scandal: ‘My judgments will be much better’ 11
- Report: Kevin Durant says he wants to play in 2016 Olympics (his free agent summer) 5
- Morris twins sign four-year extensions with Suns 11
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Washington Wizards 3
- Rockets’ Daryl Morey fires back at Mark Cuban: If you care about chemistry, why break up a title team? 35
- Deron Williams fires back at Kobe: “If I’m 0-for-f******-9, I’m not shooting 20 more shots” 43
- LeBron James on running the Cavaliers offense: ‘This is Kyrie’s show’ 28