Aug 12, 2011, 10:26 AM EST
All we are saying, is World Peace is going to give England a chance.
Yesterday, his handers were trying to play down the idea of Ron Artest — soon to officially be Metta World Peace — playing for the Cheshire Jets in England next season. He’s just going there next week to get the lay of the land, they said.
Meanwhile the Lakers forward himself is rushing full speed ahead with the exuberance that usually accompanies his off the court activities. Artest doesn’t really know going slow. And speaking with Mark Medina at the Los Angeles Times, Artest wasn’t trying to apply the breaks, he was hitting the gas.
“I’m definitely going to play for the Jets,” Artest said in a phone interview Thursday night. “I’m definitely going to play for the Jets.”
Just for the record Ron (or Metta), it’s bad negotiating tactics to tell the other side you’re going to take a deal before you talk price. Not that they can pay much anyway, but they are trying to be creative, like having Artest get a role on a British soap opera.
“I went on Jimmy Kimmel in my underwear, so, of course I would do a soap opera,” said Artest, who also appeared Thursday in George Lopez’s series finale. “Hands down. When they told me I had the opportunity and asked if I wanted to do a soap opera, I said, ‘Of course, man.’ I’m not going to run away. When I was a kid, I wanted to be on TV. Why would I run away from being on TV?”
That leaves it to his agent and others to deal with the dull details of things like finding insurance for the remaining $21 million he has in NBA salary.
But it looks like this is a go; Artest thinks it will be fun.
- Three Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: The All-Star Rosters need to be expanded 0
- One day after having surgery, Kobe Bryant came to see Pau Gasol 1
- Report: Dwight Howard could miss “extended time” with knee injury 2
- The three biggest All-Star snubs in each conference 17
- James Harden, three Hawks players lead list of NBA All-Star Game reserves 11
- Report: OKC front office backs Scott Brooks, may look to trade Reggie Jackson 9
- Dwyane Wade out indefinitely, says best case for his return is 2-3 weeks 9
- Report: Tom Thibodeau’s relationship with Bulls management believed to be ‘beyond repair’ 42