Aug 11, 2011, 11:20 AM EDT
Patrick Ewing — currently a Magic assistant coach — wants a head coaching job. He’s had a few interviews (most recently with the Pistons) but has yet to win the gig.
But is dream job? That is with the New York Knicks, he said on the Mike Lupica show on ESPN New York.
“I hope that one day I get to come back home because I do live in this area, I still consider this my area, I still consider myself a Knick. Hopefully one day I’ll be brought back here,” Ewing, the Knicks’ career scoring leader, said in response to a question from Lupica.
I think most people still consider Ewing a Knick. Sure he coaches in Orlando and played a season there, but when you picture Ewing do you really see him in a Magic uniform?
Ewing is plenty frustrated about not getting more chances at the big chair, a chance to be the tallest coach in NBA history. He thinks his height is part of the problem in him getting a chance.
“People think that just because you’re a center, you’re not as smart as the guards or the smaller guys. I think that’s a load of crap. When I played with the Knicks, I was just as important or just as smart as any other of the guards I played with. I still had to call out plays, notice schemes, know the systems, do everything they had to do.”
- Cavaliers coach David Blatt: ‘LeBron James is our MVP’ 11
- No Durant, what does that mean for Thunder in these playoffs? Trouble. 6
- Kevin Durant to have third foot surgery; is done for season, playoffs 32
- Goran Dragic leading feisty Heat’s playoff push 24
- NBA Draft prospect matchups to watch in NCAA Tourament this weekend 2
- Report: LeBron James frustrated with Kevin Love for not fitting in 85
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Kevin Love seems to be fitting in just fine suddenly 4
- It’s official: Dwight Howard will return to Rockets’ lineup Wednesday 2