Patrick Ewing: “I still consider myself a Knick”

Aug 11, 2011, 11:20 AM EDT

NBA CHAMPIONSHIPS

Patrick Ewing — currently a Magic assistant coach — wants a head coaching job. He’s had a few interviews (most recently with the Pistons) but has yet to win the gig.

But is dream job? That is with the New York Knicks, he said on the Mike Lupica show on ESPN New York.

“I hope that one day I get to come back home because I do live in this area, I still consider this my area, I still consider myself a Knick. Hopefully one day I’ll be brought back here,” Ewing, the Knicks’ career scoring leader, said in response to a question from Lupica.

I think most people still consider Ewing a Knick. Sure he coaches in Orlando and played a season there, but when you picture Ewing do you really see him in a Magic uniform?

Ewing is plenty frustrated about not getting more chances at the big chair, a chance to be the tallest coach in NBA history. He thinks his height is part of the problem in him getting a chance.

“People think that just because you’re a center, you’re not as smart as the guards or the smaller guys. I think that’s a load of crap. When I played with the Knicks, I was just as important or just as smart as any other of the guards I played with. I still had to call out plays, notice schemes, know the systems, do everything they had to do.”

1. edmazeing1 - Aug 11, 2011 at 11:22 AM

They can use u Ewing suit up!!!

2. zblott - Aug 11, 2011 at 12:10 PM

At what point in his career was Ewing ever considered smart enough to be a head NBA coach? He’s lucky to have a job working with Dwight Howard.

• urallstupid - Aug 11, 2011 at 12:18 PM

pretty good logic there. i mean all a guy needs to be an all star in the NBA is to just go out there and do whatever they want, they dont have to know the x’s and o’s of the game right?

sure, ewing might not be the smartest guy out there, but given how well he played the game and his experience as an assistant coach (whatever his official title is), i think he could work out as a head coach.

• zblott - Aug 11, 2011 at 8:16 PM

Again, when was he ever considered to be smart enough to be a coach? Was it all those embarassing interviews that only were more ridiculous when he was the president of the union (as Bill Simmons said, “it was like finding out that Flavor Flav had been named the president of Viacom”)? Was it when he got oral from those prositutes at the Atlanta Gold Club on multiple occasions? Was it the fact that with all that athleticism he still was an underwhelming rebounder (was a top-3 rebounder zero times, zero) and had no real moves in the post? Was it the fact he “coaches” Dwight Howard whose biggest improvements came after he worked with Hakeem for like a week? Was it, again according to Bill Simmons, that he was “shaky at crunch time,” “awful passer out of double-teams,” and “couldn’t make his teammates better” (smart star players can at least do one of those well)? Was it the fact he’s super famous and keeps clamouring for a coaching spot but is still only around to work with one guy (you NEVER see him doing anything with the Magic as a team)? All because he was an All-Star in New York and wants to coach doesn’t mean he should. There’s a reason no team makes a serious attempt to even have him around as a real assistant coach.

• emeraldcityfan - Aug 11, 2011 at 2:08 PM

Attended MIT-Wellesley Upward Bound Program and Georgetown University. Yeah not smart at all.

• zblott - Aug 11, 2011 at 7:56 PM

I didn’t realize he qualified for both places based on his academics. Isn’t Georgetown the place Grant Hill crossed off his list because they asked him to read aloud to determine what level of classes to put him in? The school with the coach that spearheaded lowering academic standards for NCAA athletes (Thompson was trying to push the minimum 820 SAT requirement even lower)? Please don’t point to what school a 7-foot superstar athlete got into as a sign of his intelligence; you know as well as I do there’s no correlation.

• blueintown - Aug 12, 2011 at 7:32 AM

Just like scholarly gentlemen Allen Iverson and Alonzo Mourning. Both Rhodes scholar recipients, I’m sure.

3. SmackSaw - Aug 11, 2011 at 12:15 PM

Former centers don’t make good head coaches.

4. cosanostra71 - Aug 11, 2011 at 1:34 PM

Honestly, when I think Ewing, the first thing I think of is him in a Sonics uniform.

haha, not.

5. rayrsatx - Aug 11, 2011 at 10:24 PM

I’ve seen dumber people as the head coach, so why not Ewing?

6. dysraw1 - Aug 30, 2011 at 7:33 PM

Coaching is simply getting a team to follow a game plan,chosing personal to implament said game,and attempting to stop the opposing teams plan. both Ewing & Ai could do that.

How has sale of Hawks made other NBA owners nervous?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches