Aug 11, 2011, 9:20 AM EDT
As Chris Mullin heads into the Hall of Fame telling cool stories about him and Larry Bird, there is a tinge of regret in New York.
When Mullin was pushed out the door as general manager of the Golden State Warriors — so Don Nelson’s cabal could have more power — there were other teams around the league that showed interest in picking him up. But nobody more so than Donnie Walsh with the Knicks, Marc Berman reminds us at the New York Post.
Being able to pick his successor was important to Walsh because, well, does anyone who cares about the Knicks want James Dolan to do make that call? But Dolan did make the call and now Walsh is gone, too.
According to a league source close to Donnie Walsh, his biggest regret as Knicks president was not being able to hire Mullin as the team general manager and then groom him as his successor. In fact, the source said if owner James Dolan had granted Walsh permission to hire Mullin last summer as GM, Walsh likely would still be the president — and not an Indiana-based club consultant.’
Sources said Walsh backed out of a verbal agreement on a two-year extension due to contract language partly related to control in hiring his successor…
The source said Dolan did not view Mullin as polished enough to be the face of the Knicks. He once described Mullin’s thick Brooklyn accent in the “Book of Basketball” as a cross between Bruce Springsteen and WFAN’s Mike Francesa.
Not that the Knicks landed in bad hands, but Mullin would have been a great fit — New York kid comes home to run the franchise and leads it back to glory. Great story. But this is Dolan’s Knicks, so that never happened.
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Cleveland may want to cover Curry in the left corner 2
- It’s official: Scott Skiles hired as head coach of Orlando Magic 20
- PBT Podcast: Talking Thibodeau/Bulls divorce; future for Rockets, Hawks 0
- Warriors’ Klay Thompson officially diagnosed with concussion 20
- Klay Thompson should not have been cleared to return to Game 5 after concussion evaluation 15
- Dwight Howard suspended one game after foul switcheroo 18
- Three coaches who may replace Tom Thibodeau in Chicago 12
- Report: Kevin Love going to “look around” this summer as free agent; Celtics, Lakers, Rockets possible 49