Aug 11, 2011, 9:20 AM EDT
As Chris Mullin heads into the Hall of Fame telling cool stories about him and Larry Bird, there is a tinge of regret in New York.
When Mullin was pushed out the door as general manager of the Golden State Warriors — so Don Nelson’s cabal could have more power — there were other teams around the league that showed interest in picking him up. But nobody more so than Donnie Walsh with the Knicks, Marc Berman reminds us at the New York Post.
Being able to pick his successor was important to Walsh because, well, does anyone who cares about the Knicks want James Dolan to do make that call? But Dolan did make the call and now Walsh is gone, too.
According to a league source close to Donnie Walsh, his biggest regret as Knicks president was not being able to hire Mullin as the team general manager and then groom him as his successor. In fact, the source said if owner James Dolan had granted Walsh permission to hire Mullin last summer as GM, Walsh likely would still be the president — and not an Indiana-based club consultant.’
Sources said Walsh backed out of a verbal agreement on a two-year extension due to contract language partly related to control in hiring his successor…
The source said Dolan did not view Mullin as polished enough to be the face of the Knicks. He once described Mullin’s thick Brooklyn accent in the “Book of Basketball” as a cross between Bruce Springsteen and WFAN’s Mike Francesa.
Not that the Knicks landed in bad hands, but Mullin would have been a great fit — New York kid comes home to run the franchise and leads it back to glory. Great story. But this is Dolan’s Knicks, so that never happened.
- PBT Extra: Talking Heat/Pacers, and why Indy might be optimistic 0
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell 17
- LeBron, Durant, Kobe headline All NBA First Team 17
- It’s official: Krzyzewski back to coach Team USA through Rio Olympics 1
- Hibbert said he will speak up in future, demand to be in game at end 11
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (89)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (76)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- HBT: Astros vendor fired after taking food into bathroom
- PHT: Avs name Hall of Famer Roy as head coach
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful