Aug 11, 2011, 8:31 AM EDT
Marcin Gortat has three years, $21.7 million left on his current NBA deal. While in NBA terms that seems a pretty good deal for the Suns, it’s also enough money to set Gortat and his family up for life.
Gortat and the Polish basketball federation have not been able to find affordable insurance for that contract, so baring a last-minute change Gortat will not play in EuroBasket, reports Paul Coro at the Arizona Republic.
“He really wants to play and loves the national team,” (Gortat’s agent Guy) Zucker said. “He’s the most important player on the team and was going to be the captain. He’s really unhappy. He’s a very proud citizen and wants to represent them. He’s definitely not a happy camper but he’s got $22 million coming and can’t make an emotional decision. This is a business where the phone stops ringing when you get a serious injury.”
Even with him Poland was in a tough spot, in the “group of death” at EuroBasket with Turkey, Spain and Lithuania (as well as Great Britain and one play-in team). Without him, Poland’s chances of qualifying for the 2012 Olympics or even the secondary play-in tournament for the games is slim.
- LeBron James gets another triple-double, now favorite for Finals MVP 9
- ‘Devastated’ Manu Ginobili says he has no clue how Spurs will re-energize for Game 7 25
- Spurs execution fails them when it matters most. Can they get it back for Game 7? 9
- Heat force a Finals Game 7 with thrilling overtime win over Spurs 16
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 103
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 (103)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (83)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (78)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Pats' Hernandez questioned in murder case
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut