Aug 10, 2011, 7:12 PM EDT
UPDATE 7:12 pm: This was a knee injury, not a pulled muscle as first described, and because of that Israel’s Omri Casspi may miss EuroBasket. Which pretty much dooms the country’s already long-shot chances.
He says it will take six weeks to heal, but EuroBasket starts at the end of August. It didn’t sound like the kind of thing that should scare Cavaliers fans (they just trade for the guy) but he told Eurobasket.com he is not risking further damage.
The knee is not something you play around with,’ Casspi said, ‘I will not play again until I know I’m 100% capable.’
‘I’m not sure if I will play in the EuroBasket. It’s too early to decide now, but I feel horrible pains and can barley move. I will need around six weeks to recuperate, two of those playing no basketball at all and then the doctors will check my knee again,’ Casspi added.
2:34 pm: It’s one of the fears of players going to play for their country, although this appears not to be that serious.
Here is the tweet about former Kings now Cavaliers forward Omri Casspi from international basketball journalist Dubi Pick:
Omri Casspi slipped during national team’s practice. Pulled a muscle but was able to walk off court alone and went to get an MRI
It’s pretty standard practice to have an MRI done even on relatively minor injuries, just to make sure it is not something more serious that isn’t obvious. (We will update when we hear the results.)
Most likely this will mean just a couple days off for Casspi as the Israeli national team prepares for EuroBasket.
Israel is considered a long shot to get one of the two Olympic qualifying spots out of EuroBasket (which starts in Lithuania at the end of August). It will not be easy for them to get out of a group that includes Italy, France, Germany, Serbia and Latvia. But the chances of Israel doing anything without Casspi are much longer.
- Kevin Love leaving Team USA not helpful, certainly not devastating either 0
- Kevin Love pulling out of USA Basketball due to lingering likelihood of trade from Timberwolves 14
- Why are the Lakers hiring Byron Scott as head coach? 15
- Report: NBA considering week-long break for All-Star Game next year 6
- Report: Knicks made (ridiculous) offer to trade for Kevin Love 48
- Report: Lakers finally offer coaching position to Byron Scott, deal expected soon 26
- Report: Cavaliers leading Kevin Love-trade sweepstakes 41
- Chris Paul on boycott if Sterling is still owner: “That’s something me and Doc are both talking about” 32