Aug 10, 2011, 11:38 AM EDT
Marc Gasol was a much-derided throw-in as part of the trade that sent Pau Gasol to the Lakers. He hadn’t set foot in the NBA and those who saw him in Spain thought he would make a solid NBA player, but nothing special
Now, he’s one of the league’s better big men, a much-coveted restricted free agent that is going to get a couple big offers, ones likely matched by Memphis which can’t afford to lose him.
Still, we don’t know how good the younger Gasol can be.
Marc Gasol is a very key player on our team. He’s one of the best centers in the league and will end up being the best center in the NBA in 2-3 years. He has very good chemistry with Zach Randolph. Besides, Marc is a leader. He didn’t miss a single practice all year long. And that’s commendable. He’s a model to follow. I hope he stays with us for a long time. Having a center like that on our team is going to give us a lot of hope. You can shoot for the Finals and be the champion.
The best center in the game in three years? I like Gasol’s game, but I don’t see that happening.
Who will be the best center three years from now? My money is on the best center right now — Dwight Howard. He is just 25, which makes him a year younger than Gasol, and Howard’s offensive game is improving.
After that I’d guess Nene, the Brazilian center with the well-rounded game. Tyson Chandler is only 28, Marcin Gortat is 26 and finally getting a chance to show what he can do. JaVale McGee is just 23 and is the best athlete at the center spot in the league and his game is catching up with that. Then there are guys like LaMarcus Aldridge who are not true centers but are forced to play the spot.
Marc Gasol is in that conversation. He is very good. But I’m not sure he can live up to Vasquez’s standards (and I get Vasquez propping up a teammate like that). That said, he could be the anchor on a Memphis team that in knocking off San Antonio last playoffs showed it can go a long way.
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (82)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (77)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Report: Clippers, Celtics talks to send Garnett, Rivers to L.A. stalled (72)
- LIVE: Spurs-Heat, Game 6
- Can Heat focus enough to avoid elimination?
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL
- PBT: Judges rules Iverson did not kidnap children
- PFT: Rodgers says Packers' moves a 'wake-up call'
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: PBT Extra: LeBron's legacy at stake, Duncan's safe
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'