Aug 10, 2011, 8:23 PM EDT
Mike Barrett, a member of the legendary 1968 U.S. Olympic team that won gold in Mexico City has passed away after a long battle with cancer. He was 67.
Barrett was considered undersized even at the time, standing just 6’2”, but he impressed everyone he played against. He played his college ball at West Virginia University Institute of Technology (also the alma mater of Sedale Threatt) but went into the Navy after college.
He was still invited to the tryouts for the U.S. Olympic team in 1968 — a team that included Spencer Haywood and Jo Jo White but was expected to struggle. They didn’t, winning every game and capturing the gold.
After that Barrett played three seasons in the ABA, where he made the All Rookie Team. In 2003 West Virginia Tech retired his jersey.
Barrett is survived by his wife, Carolyn, and his brother, Scott.
- Report: Clippers just need owner’s approval to finalize Garnett, Rivers trade 0
- PBT Extra: Previewing Heat/Spurs NBA Finals Game 7 6
- Utah Jazz bring back Jerry Sloan as team consultant 6
- Celtics, Clippers restart Doc Rivers-Kevin Garnett trades talks at Chris Paul’s wish 14
- Chris Bosh to fans who left Game 6 early: ‘Don’t come back for Game 7′ 38
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 (125)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (85)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- Chris Bosh blocks Spurs’ Game 6 comeback attempt (video) (80)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Blackhawks win OT thriller
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PBT: Celts, Clips restart Doc, KG trade talks
- Posnanski: How Heat won a game of mistakes
- GTC: Tiger pulls out of AT&T citing elbow issue
- HBT: Biogenesis suspensions still likely coming
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'
- Play Video: Green breaks NBA finals 3-point record