Aug 9, 2011, 6:22 PM EDT
You may not know who Jereme Richmond is, but now you will for the wrong reasons.
He is one of those guys who just missed having his named called in the NBA Draft. The 6’7” swingman out of Illinois tried to go pro after his freshman year, but that season was inconsistent and scouts were worried about his fundamentals. Basically, he’s athletic but a real project. The kind of guy who would have gotten put on a summer league team and been given another look, maybe even earned a training camp invite somewhere.
Now, he’s got much bigger problems — he has been arrested on charges of beating a woman and threatening her with a gun. From The Daily Herald.
Richmond, 19, and Matthew Riley, 22, of North Chicago, were arrested Monday afternoon outside the victim’s house after police found a loaded .40-caliber semiautomatic pistol in the car the men had driven….
On Sunday, (Lake County Assistant State’s Attorney Stephen) Scheller said, the woman drove to Richmond’s residence in the 2000 block of Arthur Drive in Waukegan to retrieve her cellphone. The two began to argue outside Richmond’s house, Scheller said, and Richmond shoved the woman back into her car during the ruckus. Monday afternoon, Scheller said, Richmond and Meyer drove to the woman’s house and Richmond began to argue with her again as her mother looked on. At one point, Scheller said, Richmond spit on the woman and said he was going to shoot her.
If he did this, he should be punished. If he does avoid jail time, NBA teams are still going to question his maturity and decision making skills (things they already questioned). Teams are not going to put the effort into developing a guy if they don’t think he can keep his head about him.
- Report: Chicago Bulls give Jimmy Butler max qualifying offer 17
- Report: Dwyane Wade will not opt-in with Heat, to become free agent (as expected) 25
- Report: Knicks front runner to land Arron Afflalo (and Greg Monroe, too) 27
- Report: Luol Deng surprises Miami, opts in for 2015-16 season 30
- Report: Sense around league is Kevin Love will re-sign with Cavaliers 31
- Report: As deadline nears, signs still point to Dwyane Wade opting out, becoming free agent 40
- Report: Dallas most likely team to lure DeAndre Jordan from Clippers, Chandler Parsons already recruiting 24
- Report: Lakers would still trade D’Angelo Russell for DeMarcus Cousins straight up. Kings wouldn’t. 30