Aug 9, 2011, 9:29 AM EDT
Now it is LeBron James’ turn.
LeBron has made the pilgrimage to Houston to work out with Hakeem Olajuwon, he told the Associated Press.
“I look at what he was able to do throughout his career,” James said. “Unbelievable talent. Multiple champion. Just to see how he was able to dominate in the low post, for me as an individual, I just try to look at some of the things I feel I need to get better at and hit home at it. Our team becomes better if I continue to get better and that’s what it’s about…
“Right now I’ve just been focusing on being a better player, working on my game every single day. Like I said, the Dallas Mavericks were a great team and they deserved to win that championship. I’ll just use that as motivation coming into this season.”
James is already a good post player, better than he gets credit for, and the Heat also use him on the block more than people think — 8.1 percent of his shots came on post ups last season and he shot 54 percent from the block.
On the left block, James posts a PPP of 1.011 (top 15% of all NBA players) and on the right block, James posts a PPP of 1.317 (top 4% of all NBA players). James’ size advantage tends to draw double teams, and when those doubles come, James is an accurate and willing passer. Out of the 75 kick outs when doubles came, James turned it over just 4 times.
What LeBron has not shown in the post is a lot of moves — he’s so big and strong he essentially bullies his way to a shot. He can just overpower or spin past a defender, and LeBron has a nice little fadeaway. But Olajuwon will teach him to widen that array and that will make him even more dangerous on the block.
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 3
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 0
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 8
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 47
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 48