Aug 9, 2011, 1:15 PM EDT
It was the scariest moment of the last season.
And Daniels just collapsed to the floor, face down unable to move. It was instantly clear something was very wrong and the Boston Garden fell into an eerie hushed silence.
Through it all Daniels heard one voice, he told Jessica Camerato of CSNNE.com.
“I just remember I kept hearing Kevin [Garnett] telling me, ‘You’re gonna be alright. You’re gonna be alright,’” Daniels told CSNNE.com in a telephone interview. “I was like, ‘I can‘t move.’ He said, ’What do you mean?’ He kept telling me I was gonna be alright. I think that helped me out a lot, just hearing his voice telling me I was going to be alright. I stayed calm, I didn’t panic.
“It was a trying time for me. I didn’t take anything for granted. I was going to take everything seriously from now on.”
We learned later Daniels had spinal stenosis, a narrowing of the spinal column. He had to have surgery to repair that condition before he could return to the NBA, but he is moving along that path. He is recovering and whenever we have an NBA season again he will be ready. And he will be an unrestricted free agent with several suitors.
“I definitely would like to be anywhere where a team wants me,” he said. “I’m keeping my options open. I still root for the guys on the Celtics. It’s a great organization. I talk to Paul (Pierce) and Kevin and (Rajon) Rondo and all those guys. So I’d be open to coming back there as well.”
- NBA Draft prospect matchups to watch in NCAA Tourament this weekend 1
- Report: LeBron James frustrated with Kevin Love for not fitting in 63
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Kevin Love seems to be fitting in just fine suddenly 4
- It’s official: Dwight Howard will return to Rockets’ lineup Wednesday 2
- Dwyane Wade on MVP race: “I would say James Harden” 27
- Report: Rockets’ Patrick Beverley has torn ligament in wrist, to decide course in 7-10 days 2
- Derrick Rose expects to be cleared for contact soon, says he feels no pain in right knee 9
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Tuesday: Warriors win Pacific Division, may win much more 20