Aug 9, 2011, 7:29 PM EST
Dwyane Wade, in the middle of the prime of his career, does not want to sit out for a full NBA season.
In fact, he said he wouldn’t. With fears abounding the entire season might be wiped out Wade told the Associated Press he will not sit out a full season.
“I’m going to play basketball this year,” Wade said from New York, where he’s taking some business meetings. “I don’t know where, but I love the game so much that I will play it. And we will figure that out.”
First off, players union chief Billy Hunter just read that and high fived someone.
Secondly, Wade denied — again — that he has gotten a $2 million a month offer from a Chinese team.
But if ends up anywhere, it may well be China. The biggest teams in Europe are not taking on rentals. China has teams with the money (or sponsors with the money) to pay a good wage to Wade. Maybe not $2 million a month, but safe to say way more than you or I make. China also is a great spot for Nike-sponsored Wade to land as he tries to grow his global brand.
Most importantly, the Chinese Basketball Association season does not start until December. That means Wade (or other stars) could watch the labor negotiations play out through September and October before having to make any commitments.
I have hope it will not come to that. But I have little hope of a full NBA season at this point.
- Sunday night NBA Grades: Rudy Gay traded to Kings, Kobe returns for Lakers 0
- Expect to see facilitator Kobe in his return to Lakers 5
- Raptors trade Rudy Gay to Sacramento for multiple players 23
- Knicks lose by 41 points at home to Celtics 24
- LeBron James likely to start at center for Eastern Conference All-Stars 10
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (65)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (52)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (47)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (44)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (43)