Aug 9, 2011, 7:29 PM EDT
Dwyane Wade, in the middle of the prime of his career, does not want to sit out for a full NBA season.
In fact, he said he wouldn’t. With fears abounding the entire season might be wiped out Wade told the Associated Press he will not sit out a full season.
“I’m going to play basketball this year,” Wade said from New York, where he’s taking some business meetings. “I don’t know where, but I love the game so much that I will play it. And we will figure that out.”
First off, players union chief Billy Hunter just read that and high fived someone.
Secondly, Wade denied — again — that he has gotten a $2 million a month offer from a Chinese team.
But if ends up anywhere, it may well be China. The biggest teams in Europe are not taking on rentals. China has teams with the money (or sponsors with the money) to pay a good wage to Wade. Maybe not $2 million a month, but safe to say way more than you or I make. China also is a great spot for Nike-sponsored Wade to land as he tries to grow his global brand.
Most importantly, the Chinese Basketball Association season does not start until December. That means Wade (or other stars) could watch the labor negotiations play out through September and October before having to make any commitments.
I have hope it will not come to that. But I have little hope of a full NBA season at this point.
- LeBron James: “(The Bulls) are a team that’s much better than us right now just off chemistry” 32
- Has Kobe Bryant cost the Lakers Dwight Howard, Carmelo Anthony, Paul George and others? 64
- Five favorites to win NBA 2014-15 MVP 18
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: San Antonio Spurs 7
- NBA’s 44-minute game clocks in at under 2 hours, players barely notice (VIDEO) 2
- Nets coach Hollins on 44-minute game: ‘The change will be for the guys who don’t start’ 11
- Spurs’ Gregg Popovich fires back at Suns owner’s apology: ‘I’m just surprised he didn’t do it in a chicken suit’ 8
- Blake Griffin goes after Trevor Booker following flagrant foul, says he may retaliate in the future (VIDEO) 31