Aug 8, 2011, 5:26 PM EDT
How much would you pay for the Atlanta Hawks? Wait, don’t answer yet, we’ll throw in a ShamWow for free…
The answer if you are Alex Meruelo is more than $300 million for 75 to 80 percent of the team, reports David Aldridge at NBA.com. That price includes Phillips Arena where the Hawks play. He also took on all debt, which includes $123 million in bonds for the arena.
You can bet Meruelo spoke with David Stern and you can bet Stern promised him a better financial situation in the future. But if the NBA were such a broken financial model you would not see six teams sold at top dollar in the last 18 months?
- PBT Power Rankings: After summer shakeups, Spurs still team to beat 10
- Report: ‘No chance’ Kevin Love stays with Timberwolves 53
- LeBron announces he’ll wear No. 23 with Cavaliers 57
- Report: Lakers say ‘no done deal’ with Byron Scott 17
- Report: Lakers, Byron Scott agree to four-year, $17 million deal to coach team 15
- Kevin Love trade talk: He doesn’t want to opt in to deal, Cavs may live with that 40
- Kevin Love leaving Team USA not helpful, certainly not devastating either 19
- Why are the Lakers hiring Byron Scott as head coach? 46