Aug 8, 2011, 5:26 PM EST
How much would you pay for the Atlanta Hawks? Wait, don’t answer yet, we’ll throw in a ShamWow for free…
The answer if you are Alex Meruelo is more than $300 million for 75 to 80 percent of the team, reports David Aldridge at NBA.com. That price includes Phillips Arena where the Hawks play. He also took on all debt, which includes $123 million in bonds for the arena.
You can bet Meruelo spoke with David Stern and you can bet Stern promised him a better financial situation in the future. But if the NBA were such a broken financial model you would not see six teams sold at top dollar in the last 18 months?
- Wednesday night NBA Grades: LaMarcus Aldridge is a flat out stud 0
- Arena evacuated after apparent fire, Spurs-Timberwolves game in Mexico City postponed 12
- Milwaukee police release video, cite Larry Sanders for bar fight 11
- PBT Extra: Focusing on “epic showdown” between Knicks, Nets 5
- Carmelo Anthony: “We are the laughingstock of the league right now” 25
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (63)
- Report: Dion Waiters accused Kyrie Irving, Tristan Thompson of playing “buddy ball.” (53)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (41)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (41)
- With game in balance, Jason Kidd tells player to “hit me,” spills drink, gets psuedo timeout to draw up play (40)