Aug 8, 2011, 5:26 PM EDT
How much would you pay for the Atlanta Hawks? Wait, don’t answer yet, we’ll throw in a ShamWow for free…
The answer if you are Alex Meruelo is more than $300 million for 75 to 80 percent of the team, reports David Aldridge at NBA.com. That price includes Phillips Arena where the Hawks play. He also took on all debt, which includes $123 million in bonds for the arena.
You can bet Meruelo spoke with David Stern and you can bet Stern promised him a better financial situation in the future. But if the NBA were such a broken financial model you would not see six teams sold at top dollar in the last 18 months?
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 28
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 2
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14
- After Rio Olympics next summer, who takes over at Team USA coach? 8
- Kobe, Shaq discuss regrets over feud that ended their Lakers era 49
- NBA fines Clippers for attempting to circumvent salary cap with DeAndre Jordan 10
- The most overlooked – and maybe most significant – reason Carmelo Anthony won’t waive his no-trade clause this season 18