Aug 8, 2011, 5:26 PM EDT
How much would you pay for the Atlanta Hawks? Wait, don’t answer yet, we’ll throw in a ShamWow for free…
The answer if you are Alex Meruelo is more than $300 million for 75 to 80 percent of the team, reports David Aldridge at NBA.com. That price includes Phillips Arena where the Hawks play. He also took on all debt, which includes $123 million in bonds for the arena.
You can bet Meruelo spoke with David Stern and you can bet Stern promised him a better financial situation in the future. But if the NBA were such a broken financial model you would not see six teams sold at top dollar in the last 18 months?
- World Cup Preview: USA vs. Finland, what to expect 3
- James Harden on Kobe Bryant return: “He’s 20-year-old Kobe” 28
- Chris Paul discusses his signature shoe, hoops with media at launch of his Jordan Brand CP3 VIII (VIDEO) 4
- 67RIEFNS No. 1: Tom Thibodeau managing his bigs 22
- Derrick Rose knows injury questions will keep coming. And coming. And coming. 11
- FIBA World Cup preview: USA, Spain, then who else can medal? 2
- Official ‘Clippers’ Number 1 Fan’ on herself and Donald Sterling: ‘I’ll always feel it’s our team’ 19
- Cavaliers GM admits concerns about rim protection on defense 19