Aug 8, 2011, 5:26 PM EDT
How much would you pay for the Atlanta Hawks? Wait, don’t answer yet, we’ll throw in a ShamWow for free…
The answer if you are Alex Meruelo is more than $300 million for 75 to 80 percent of the team, reports David Aldridge at NBA.com. That price includes Phillips Arena where the Hawks play. He also took on all debt, which includes $123 million in bonds for the arena.
You can bet Meruelo spoke with David Stern and you can bet Stern promised him a better financial situation in the future. But if the NBA were such a broken financial model you would not see six teams sold at top dollar in the last 18 months?
- Three coaches who could replace Tom Thibodeau in Chicago 0
- Report: Kevin Love going to “look around” this summer as free agent; Celtics, Lakers, Rockets possible 5
- PBT Extra: Did Chicago make the right move in firing Thibodeau? 22
- Bulls front office on Tom Thibodeau firing: “We probably wouldn’t be sitting here if we won a championship” 11
- Bulls fire Tom Thibodeau 61
- Dwight Howard: “I’m still a champion. And I won’t let anyone tell me anything different.” 72
- Rockets had an excellent season. Are they content with that? 23
- Harden struggles, Warriors role players step up leading team to Finals for first time in 40 years 42