Aug 8, 2011, 3:56 PM EST
Come on Orlando Magic ticket holders — when they start pumping in the “every-body-clap-your-hands” noise at the Amway Center, Dwight Howard wants you feel it. Really feel it.
On twitter yesterday a Magic fan made a complaint to Howard that fans in 29 other arenas make — the fans close to floor are just there to be seen, not because they are true fans. (Okay, 28 other arenas, nobody wants to be seen in Minnesota.) They’re not loud enough.
It was Howard’s response that was interesting, as caught by Zach McCann at the Orlando Sentinel.
Howard wrote back, “that upsets me cuz I don’t wait till the playoffs to play hard. I give y’all my best everynite. Y becuz some people don’t get a chance to be at everygame. And I want them to always remember the nite they saw me play. So. I play for y’all. I feed off the fans. ESP at home. It’s a different atmosphere in the playoffs at the arena. That same atmosphere should be during the season.”
I’m not questioning Howard’s effort, but he doesn’t really think the players come with the same level of focus and intensity during the regular season that they do during the playoffs, does he? Everybody steps up in the playoffs, fans and players a like.
Still, smooth move Howard. During a lockout I think there is no better move then telling the paying fans that they need to be more into it. Well done sir. The reason Howard makes his sweet salary is the suites and premier-priced seats near the court. All those suites make it a little quieter in the building, but they go for much higher prices than normal seats. Which is really how teams make their money. Then give 57 percent of that to the players.
- Wednesday night NBA Grades: LaMarcus Aldridge is a flat out stud 2
- Arena evacuated after fire, Spurs-Timberwolves game in Mexico City postponed 12
- Milwaukee police release video, cite Larry Sanders for bar fight 11
- PBT Extra: Focusing on “epic showdown” between Knicks, Nets 5
- Carmelo Anthony: “We are the laughingstock of the league right now” 25
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (63)
- Report: Dion Waiters accused Kyrie Irving, Tristan Thompson of playing “buddy ball.” (53)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (41)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (41)
- With game in balance, Jason Kidd tells player to “hit me,” spills drink, gets psuedo timeout to draw up play (40)