Aug 8, 2011, 3:56 PM EDT
Come on Orlando Magic ticket holders — when they start pumping in the “every-body-clap-your-hands” noise at the Amway Center, Dwight Howard wants you feel it. Really feel it.
On twitter yesterday a Magic fan made a complaint to Howard that fans in 29 other arenas make — the fans close to floor are just there to be seen, not because they are true fans. (Okay, 28 other arenas, nobody wants to be seen in Minnesota.) They’re not loud enough.
It was Howard’s response that was interesting, as caught by Zach McCann at the Orlando Sentinel.
Howard wrote back, “that upsets me cuz I don’t wait till the playoffs to play hard. I give y’all my best everynite. Y becuz some people don’t get a chance to be at everygame. And I want them to always remember the nite they saw me play. So. I play for y’all. I feed off the fans. ESP at home. It’s a different atmosphere in the playoffs at the arena. That same atmosphere should be during the season.”
I’m not questioning Howard’s effort, but he doesn’t really think the players come with the same level of focus and intensity during the regular season that they do during the playoffs, does he? Everybody steps up in the playoffs, fans and players a like.
Still, smooth move Howard. During a lockout I think there is no better move then telling the paying fans that they need to be more into it. Well done sir. The reason Howard makes his sweet salary is the suites and premier-priced seats near the court. All those suites make it a little quieter in the building, but they go for much higher prices than normal seats. Which is really how teams make their money. Then give 57 percent of that to the players.
- Bulls fire Tom Thibodeau 1
- Dwight Howard: “I’m still a champion. And I won’t let anyone tell me anything different.” 54
- Rockets had an excellent season. Are they content with that? 18
- Harden struggles, Warriors role players step up leading team to Finals for first time in 40 years 33
- Dwight Howard hit with suspension-triggering technical foul 7
- PBT Extra: Cavaliers’ improved defense helps them to Finals 8
- Reports: Bulls getting closer to firing Tom Thibodeau 30
- PBT Extra: Despite ending, Hawks had season worth celebrating 3