Aug 8, 2011, 3:56 PM EST
Come on Orlando Magic ticket holders — when they start pumping in the “every-body-clap-your-hands” noise at the Amway Center, Dwight Howard wants you feel it. Really feel it.
On twitter yesterday a Magic fan made a complaint to Howard that fans in 29 other arenas make — the fans close to floor are just there to be seen, not because they are true fans. (Okay, 28 other arenas, nobody wants to be seen in Minnesota.) They’re not loud enough.
It was Howard’s response that was interesting, as caught by Zach McCann at the Orlando Sentinel.
Howard wrote back, “that upsets me cuz I don’t wait till the playoffs to play hard. I give y’all my best everynite. Y becuz some people don’t get a chance to be at everygame. And I want them to always remember the nite they saw me play. So. I play for y’all. I feed off the fans. ESP at home. It’s a different atmosphere in the playoffs at the arena. That same atmosphere should be during the season.”
I’m not questioning Howard’s effort, but he doesn’t really think the players come with the same level of focus and intensity during the regular season that they do during the playoffs, does he? Everybody steps up in the playoffs, fans and players a like.
Still, smooth move Howard. During a lockout I think there is no better move then telling the paying fans that they need to be more into it. Well done sir. The reason Howard makes his sweet salary is the suites and premier-priced seats near the court. All those suites make it a little quieter in the building, but they go for much higher prices than normal seats. Which is really how teams make their money. Then give 57 percent of that to the players.
- PBT’s Sunday Night Winners/Losers: Anthony Davis is playing like an MVP 3
- Sources: Kings prefer George Karl, not serious about hiring Mark Jackson 8
- Nuggets Danilo Gallinari has meniscus tear in right knee, out three weeks after surgery 7
- Rajon Rondo was very Rondoesque in debut with Mavericks (VIDEO) 19
- Report: Kings discussing trade for Deron Williams with Nets 12
- Report: Multiple teams contacting Suns trying to trade for Goran Dragic 10
- Clippers rip officials after being called for seven technical fouls in loss to Nuggets 18
- Jeremy Lin after Kobe misses at the buzzer: ‘I like game-winners too’ 60