Aug 8, 2011, 11:52 AM EDT
There’s really never been any question about Tyrus Thomas’ physical skills — he’s 6’9” and can leap out of the gym, he can rebound and finish at the rim. But even those close to him have been frustrated with his decision making, which we will kindly call inconsistent. Focus and Thomas are rarely used in the same sentence.
The physical side of his game — rehab on the knee he had surgery on in January, getting his explosiveness back — was the big order of the summer.
But he is doing more than that, he told the Charlotte Observer (in answer to a reader’s questions).
I’ve been really working on my mental approach to the game. I’ve done that by watching film, studying myself, and being more analytical, rather than spontaneous, in my everyday life. I must say though, the highlight of my summer has been my wedding!
Good answer on the wedding. I have no doubt it was the highlight of your summer, but trust me when I say you want to keep telling your wife that. Whatever you do, during the 8-hour flight to your honeymoon do not say to your new wife “can we talk about something other than the wedding?” Just trust us on that one.
Thomas also said he is working on a go-to move with his back to the basket. His wife may not love that but Bobcats fans would.
- James Harden and Dwight Howard show Mavericks what they’re missing in Rockets’ Game 1 win 0
- Derrick Rose looks like his old self as Bulls beat Bucks in Game 1 8
- Warriors strong enough to outlast Anthony Davis and Pelicans in Game 1 4
- Paul Pierce leads Wizards to overtime Game 1 win over Raptors 5
- Q&A: Corey Brewer on trade from Timberwolves, his 51-point game, Harden’s MVP case, Rockets vs. Mavericks 2
- PBT First Round Playoff Previews: Los Angeles Clippers vs. San Antonio Spurs 10
- Why the 2015 NBA playoffs feel wide open – but probably shouldn’t 5
- PBT Extra: Houston, Dallas simply do not like each other 3