Aug 7, 2011, 5:00 PM EDT
The question mark, I think, is what really makes it, along with the fact that the typeface itself is difficult to read. So the tattoo that reads “Misunderstood” is both inherently questioning itself, and easy to misunderstand.
Oh, DMC. You’re such a puzzle wrapped in a mystery disguised as an enigma.
Maybe Cousins’ biggest problem is that he’s aware of how he’s perceived, and resents it. It’s not just that he’s surly and moody, it’s that he’s surly and moody about the fact that people comment on him being surly and moody, when he’s surly and moody. That self-awareness is a trap, because he’s not able to see himself as surly and moody, only that he’s perceived that way, and then responds to it with the same behavior that gets him in trouble in the first place. It’s a vicious cycle, and one that the tattoo feeds into it.
But then again, maybe he is aware of it, as the question mark indicates. Maybe he’s asking if he’s really misunderstood, or if he’s misunderstood as not being aware of his faults.
Or, you know, the question mark could be decorative and we should stop over-analyzing a tattoo.
Have we mentioned we’d really like the lockout to be over, and were only a month in?
- It’s official: Krzyzewski back to coach Team USA through Rio Olympics 0
- Hibbert said he will speak up in future, demand to be in game at end 4
- Chris Andersen complements Heat’s Big Three so well 21
- Pacers’ coach Vogel explains decision to bench Hibbert late, says ‘we’ll probably have him in next time’ 14
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers 45
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (89)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (76)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- HBT: Astros vendor fired after taking food into bathroom
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement