DeMar DeRozan apologizes for his behavior, and he didn’t even hit anyone

Aug 7, 2011, 3:00 PM EDT

Sprite Slam Dunk Contest Getty Images

DeMar DeRozan took to Twitter on Saturday to apologize for his behavior immediately following a Drew League game.

“I want to apologize for my actions at the Drew League today. I got caught up in the heat of the moment, but should’ve handled it better,” DeRozan wrote on Twitter.

From various reports, DeRozan was whistled for a charge on a game-winning shot with five seconds to go. After free throws, his team lost 87-84 to the Long Beach-based Problems team.

Here’s the charge.

After the game, DeRozan screamed at an official, and allegedly threw his jersey at him.

That’s it.

Sorry, DeMar, you’re going to have to do better than that. If you want us to get upset over your behavior, you’re going to have to punch some guy or mush some guy or do something else to some guy’s head. That’s really the standard of excellence in terms of moron behavior at the summer leagues.

DeRozan dropped 35 in the game, but still finds his team out. Not all bad, though. DeRozan turns 22 today, and has a bright and promising career ahead of him. He showed a lot of potential to be a bonafide star in this league last season if he can start to develop a consistent array of moves and learn to play some defense under Dwane Casey.

1. drmonkeyarmy - Aug 7, 2011 at 3:21 PM

That wasn’t a charge.

• ihavenonickname - Aug 7, 2011 at 3:40 PM

TRUE. I was there and his little tirade after the game was terrible, but I am very impressed with his apology. DeMar earned my respect yesterday.
      Also, he wasn’t the only brat at drew league yesterday, Javale and Nick young thru fits that were nearly as deplorable. no apolgies from them.

• skids003 - Aug 8, 2011 at 12:26 PM

Actually, it was.

• drmonkeyarmy - Aug 8, 2011 at 12:58 PM

No way. The guy wasn’t set and was falling over before DeRozan even made contact with him.

2. usdiveteam - Aug 7, 2011 at 3:28 PM

I don’t care if it’s a game at the YMCA, you don’t throw stuff at a ref.

3. nagidac - Aug 7, 2011 at 4:50 PM

DeRozan is a good young player with a lot of potential. Glad to see at this point he is still a reasonable young man with manners.

4. rayrsatx - Aug 7, 2011 at 6:51 PM

I think the point is in spite of the bad call by the ref, the young man lost his cool & threw a tantrum when he took off his jersey & threw it at the ref! I’d hate to see what he would do if he was really upset.

Heat can make playoffs without LeBron
Top 10 NBA Player Searches