Aug 6, 2011, 4:00 PM EDT
Carmelo Anthony has Puerto Rican ties and so he hosts a charity weekend there. As part of that, he did an interview with a local newspaper. You’re never going to believe it, but the subject of playing overseas came up. I know, shocking, right? And even more stunning, Melo said he was keeping his options open! Can you believe it? Will the surprises ever cease?
Anyway, outside of saying he might play for Puerto Rico, which has the same chance as him playing in China, or Turkey, or Italy, or Greece, okay, not Greece, things are not great there, the reporter randomly asked him about the BRI split in the CBA negotiations. Because that’s not at all specific. And Melo, well, he doesn’t see much need for a move down in percentage at all. From PrimeraHora.com:
“If you ask me, I’d say 57 percent of existing players is fair. But honestly, the problem goes beyond profit percentages. You also have to define what are the teams that really are making a loss and if there are plans on the agenda to improve their situation. There are a number of variables being considered in negotiations, rather than percentages of profits. “
So that’s a vague reference to revenue sharing for the teams that are losing money, and speaks to the issue of how the problem goes beyond just BRI. There’s this talk that it’s all about the money split and if that was resolved everything would fall into place. But the players are more worried about the systemic changes, like the hard cap.
At the same time, the union has unilaterally made the statement that a cut in BRI is a decent idea in these economic times. Hey, at least it’s a superstar speaking to the issues instead of just pursuing exhibition games, playing overseas, or hiding out.
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 14
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 27
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32