Aug 6, 2011, 4:00 PM EDT
Carmelo Anthony has Puerto Rican ties and so he hosts a charity weekend there. As part of that, he did an interview with a local newspaper. You’re never going to believe it, but the subject of playing overseas came up. I know, shocking, right? And even more stunning, Melo said he was keeping his options open! Can you believe it? Will the surprises ever cease?
Anyway, outside of saying he might play for Puerto Rico, which has the same chance as him playing in China, or Turkey, or Italy, or Greece, okay, not Greece, things are not great there, the reporter randomly asked him about the BRI split in the CBA negotiations. Because that’s not at all specific. And Melo, well, he doesn’t see much need for a move down in percentage at all. From PrimeraHora.com:
“If you ask me, I’d say 57 percent of existing players is fair. But honestly, the problem goes beyond profit percentages. You also have to define what are the teams that really are making a loss and if there are plans on the agenda to improve their situation. There are a number of variables being considered in negotiations, rather than percentages of profits. “
So that’s a vague reference to revenue sharing for the teams that are losing money, and speaks to the issue of how the problem goes beyond just BRI. There’s this talk that it’s all about the money split and if that was resolved everything would fall into place. But the players are more worried about the systemic changes, like the hard cap.
At the same time, the union has unilaterally made the statement that a cut in BRI is a decent idea in these economic times. Hey, at least it’s a superstar speaking to the issues instead of just pursuing exhibition games, playing overseas, or hiding out.
- Celtics owner: Rajon Rondo ‘super stubborn,’ harder than average to coach 6
- Bruce Bowen says blame for James Harden’s defense falls on McHale, Rockets 15
- NBA to review domestic violence policies in wake of NFL’s ugliness. It shouldn’t have taken that. 13
- Cavaliers lift ban on fan who ran onto court with LeBron James shirt 16
- Blake Griffin said he knew Donald Sterling was racist, wasn’t really surprised by tape 14
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Chicago Bulls 11
- Tony Parker hits a back over-the-head halfcourt shot (VIDEO) 8
- Timberwolves ‘not necessarily in a rush’ to agree to contract extension with Ricky Rubio 18