Aug 5, 2011, 5:06 PM EDT
Now it also has been shot down by Wade’s agent.
Here’s the money paragraph from the Miami Herald.
Wade and his agent, Henry Thomas, have said Wade will consider overseas offers if the NBA lockout stretches into the season. “We are not there yet,” Wade told China Daily, referring to overseas offers in general. “We are going to start working out. The time to consider that has not come.”
As we’ve said before, if a star player is going anywhere China makes the most sense. For Wade it’s about global branding in the biggest market. Those Chinese teams also would be able to find sponsors that would pick up some massive salaries.
Most importantly, the Chinese league does not tip off until December. Players and their agents would have all of September and October to see if the lockout is going to drag on as long as many fear. If there is no movement by then, guys like Wade may take a more serious look at China. Especially if the offer is $2 million a month.
But for now, everything is in a holding pattern.
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 1
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 5
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 4
- Report: LeBron James more popular than he ever was with the Heat 12
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 6
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did. 16
- Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable 40
- Derrick Rose told Carmelo Anthony that if he came to Chicago “the game would be easy” 42