Aug 5, 2011, 5:59 PM EDT
If you read one thing today, make it the story at the end of this link.
You may remember Bol as an almost cartoonish NBA figure, a 7’7” Sudanese shot blocker, a Dinka warrior. It’s partially a story about him in the NBA, how he liked to party and live the NBA life. How he and his game grew on the court (remember his jump shots?).
But more than that, it’s the story of how his life evolved, how he helped finance a rebellion in the Sudan 1980s, a rebellion that evolved into Southern Sudan becoming the world’s newest nation in July of this year. How Bol lost hundreds of family members to starvation, war and devastation in that country, how he helped do his part to change the Sudan and change that situation by helping create a new nation. How he lived to see the election that changed everything, but it in part cost him his life.
It’s great storytelling because it’s not all happy endings and good feelings. Bol had a lot of missteps, a lot of challenges. This is a no holds-bared story, not a romantic comedy.
But in the end, it’s the best thing you are going to read today. And you will get a new appreciation for Bol out of it.
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (121)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (88)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (75)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Seattle group releases statement; forced to wait, hope for expansion (64)
- Live Extra: Watch Sharks-Kings, Game 4
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- PHT: Bruins rally in third, put Rangers in 3-0 hole
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- GTC: Garcia offers Tiger 'fried chicken' for dinner
- Andy Murray out of French Open due to back injury
- PFT: Woodson returns to Raiders for up to $4.3M
- Play Video: Metta World Peace the weatherman
- Play Video: Eastern Conference finals preview
- Play Video: Heat gearing for another physical battle
- Play Video: Phil Jackson compares MJ and Kobe
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars