Aug 5, 2011, 9:50 AM EST
Officials from the Turkish team Besiktas finally did meet with Kobe Bryant’s agent Thursday, but Bryant himself wasn’t there. The two sides are supposed to meet again Friday.
According to club sources, Besiktas-Pelinka meeting was positive. Kobe wasn’t there. Club made an official offer. Today they’ll meet again.
What does that mean? Nothing really. If you want to say it’s not serious yet you point out Kobe wasn’t in the room. If you want to say it is serious you point out they are meeting again and an offer is now on the table. Besiktas was serious enough to sign Deron Williams for next season and Allen Iverson last season.
I don’t think he’s going. First, he doesn’t seem that into it. An exhibition/barnstorming tour in China, maybe, but a season with another team, no. That could get in the way of ring No. 6, a season would wear him down.
Senol suggests in later tweets that Kobe could make more money in Turkey than China because the season is a couple months longer, but this move would not be about the salary. What Kobe gets paid anywhere overseas is a sliver of the $25 million he would make in the NBA next year. Kobe already has set his family for generations. It’s not about the money. It’s about legacy and global branding. And I’m not sure a sixth-place team in Turkey — one not in the EuroLeague — really contributes much to either of those.
- Kobe Bryant returning Sunday against Raptors 15
- Report: Rockets stepping up efforts to move Omer Asik 10
- Rumor: Carmelo Anthony recruiting Rajon Rondo to come to New York in 2015 17
- Report: Heat shopping Joel Anthony, seeking depth behind Wade 21
- LeBron not wearing new LeBron 11s, Nike “redefining” shoe for him 15
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (43)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (40)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (38)