Aug 5, 2011, 4:06 PM EST
Magic Johnson came out recently and said exactly what you would expect Magic to say — the original 1992 Dream team was better than the 2008 Olympic “Redeem Team.”
“When you think about the Olympics and the Dream Team, I have to throw it to you. Kobe [Bryant] and them won by 22 points. Ehh, 22 points? We won by an average of 44 points. So when they want to step up to that, you tell them we’ll be waiting on them.”
As we all know, the margin of victory thing is flawed because since 1992 the rest of the world has caught up with the USA a lot in basketball talent. The Dream Team didn’t face a squad nearly as good as the 2008 Spain team the USA bested for the gold.
That said, best of five we’d still take the Dream team. Magic and Michael Jordan, Bird and Chris Mullin knocking down threes, Charles Barkley near his peak, Patrick Ewing defending the paint. I just think they had better balance. And they had MJ at his peak. Sorry Kobe, he gets you again.
Who do you think is better?
- Report: Knicks offer Phil Jackson a front office position 4
- Is Carmelo Anthony’s smart play to opt in and play out contract with Knicks? 6
- LeBron says he has open door policy, would certainly speak to Paul George 21
- Report: Knicks met with Phil Jackson about coaching them 39
- Extra Pass: Golden State Warriors defending at historically high level 5