Aug 5, 2011, 4:06 PM EDT
Magic Johnson came out recently and said exactly what you would expect Magic to say — the original 1992 Dream team was better than the 2008 Olympic “Redeem Team.”
“When you think about the Olympics and the Dream Team, I have to throw it to you. Kobe [Bryant] and them won by 22 points. Ehh, 22 points? We won by an average of 44 points. So when they want to step up to that, you tell them we’ll be waiting on them.”
As we all know, the margin of victory thing is flawed because since 1992 the rest of the world has caught up with the USA a lot in basketball talent. The Dream Team didn’t face a squad nearly as good as the 2008 Spain team the USA bested for the gold.
That said, best of five we’d still take the Dream team. Magic and Michael Jordan, Bird and Chris Mullin knocking down threes, Charles Barkley near his peak, Patrick Ewing defending the paint. I just think they had better balance. And they had MJ at his peak. Sorry Kobe, he gets you again.
Who do you think is better?
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 6
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 2
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 48
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10