Aug 4, 2011, 11:22 AM EDT
Last season, NBA 2K11 brought back vintage Michael Jordan, let you control His Airness and match his best Bulls teams against today’s teams. Even the Timberwolves.
It worked so well, 2K Sports (the company that makes the game) is taking it to the next level.
We showed you the covers to this year’s game — complete with Magic and Larry Bird — and now the details have come out: there will be 15 legends of the sport that will be part of the game, according to IGN.com (via Ben Golliver at Eye on Basketball).
Players announced so far are: Michael Jordan, Larry Bird, Magic Johnson, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, and Julius “Dr. J” Erving, plus 10 other legends to be announced in the coming weeks. The historic games feature the entire team rosters, accurate stadiums, and are presented to look like TV broadcasts from their respective era.
To add icing to the cake, the classic teams can be unlocked and played in game against contemporary lineups. Kobe vs. Kareem. Dr. J vs. KG. Jordan vs. LeBron.
This should be really fun when it hits the streets this fall. And since it may be the only basketball we see we may obsess over it more than normal.
- Cavaliers coach David Blatt: ‘LeBron James is our MVP’ 20
- No Durant, what does that mean for Thunder in these playoffs? Trouble. 13
- Kevin Durant to have third foot surgery; is done for season, playoffs 36
- Goran Dragic leading feisty Heat’s playoff push 26
- NBA Draft prospect matchups to watch in NCAA Tourament this weekend 2
- Report: LeBron James frustrated with Kevin Love for not fitting in 85
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Kevin Love seems to be fitting in just fine suddenly 4
- It’s official: Dwight Howard will return to Rockets’ lineup Wednesday 2