NBA 2K12 to have 15 legends of the game added

Aug 4, 2011, 11:22 AM EDT

NBA 2K12

Last season, NBA 2K11 brought back vintage Michael Jordan, let you control His Airness and match his best Bulls teams against today’s teams. Even the Timberwolves.

It worked so well, 2K Sports (the company that makes the game) is taking it to the next level.

We showed you the covers to this year’s game — complete with Magic and Larry Bird — and now the details have come out: there will be 15 legends of the sport that will be part of the game, according to IGN.com (via Ben Golliver at Eye on Basketball).

Players announced so far are: Michael Jordan, Larry Bird, Magic Johnson, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, and Julius “Dr. J” Erving, plus 10 other legends to be announced in the coming weeks. The historic games feature the entire team rosters, accurate stadiums, and are presented to look like TV broadcasts from their respective era.

To add icing to the cake, the classic teams can be unlocked and played in game against contemporary lineups. Kobe vs. Kareem. Dr. J vs. KG. Jordan vs. LeBron.

So if you ever wondered how Kareem would fare against Darko Milicic, you can now find out. Same with how Dr. J would do against John Salmons. We know that one keeps you up at night.

This should be really fun when it hits the streets this fall. And since it may be the only basketball we see we may obsess over it more than normal.

1. edmazeing1 - Aug 4, 2011 at 11:27 AM

I still think Nba Live was better, but thats just me, the guy under me loves 2K so he hates my comment!!!

• klbiggs - Aug 4, 2011 at 12:38 PM

Nice try EA Sports

• savocabol1 - Aug 4, 2011 at 1:02 PM

The guy under you? I don’t know about you, but I typically only like to have girls under me.

• edmazeing1 - Aug 4, 2011 at 1:34 PM

ok adam sandler, u killin em with that huh!!!

• savocabol1 - Aug 4, 2011 at 3:24 PM

Ha, I couldn’t resist!

• trbowman - Aug 4, 2011 at 5:56 PM

NBA Live in its prime I liked betterr, but it’s been garbage for years now. EA has a whole has gone downhill, except for their NHL games – which are very good.

2. cookie2117 - Aug 4, 2011 at 1:00 PM

Na bro NBA live was way better

3. boondocksaint224 - Aug 4, 2011 at 2:10 PM

2K11 was the greatest basketball game ever released, and I’m even more excited for 2K12. All of the NBA Live folks need to get with it.

4. dawkattack - Aug 4, 2011 at 2:37 PM

Live = Worst BallGame Ever

5. cosanostra71 - Aug 4, 2011 at 3:18 PM

I personally liked Live better but the franchise is dead so I’ve been playing 2K. I like the idea of adding more legends. I’m excited to play with Magic Johnson, my favorite player of all time.

6. 00maltliquor - Aug 4, 2011 at 4:21 PM

As the great Bart Scott once said, ” CAN’T WAIT!!!”

7. skulman7 - Aug 4, 2011 at 9:14 PM

They better add more legends if they want to convince me to buy a nba game in a lockout year

Top 10 NBA Player Searches