Aug 4, 2011, 6:37 PM EDT
When you think about European teams NBA players want to jump to, Barcelona comes to mind. Amazing city with great food and nightlife. Powerful team that consistently is one of the tops in Europe. Plus, you can probably get contacts for some good soccer tickets.
But team alumni Ricky Rubio said he is not going back to play there unless he entire season is lost. Now another alum — Marc Gasol of the Memphis Grizzlies — says he is not heading there either. And he is a free agent, he could do so and not need an opt-out clause for when the NBA starts up again.
Gasol said he would want to return to the NBA when the lockout ended and it would be “selfish” of him to go for half a season then leave the team high and dry, he told Marc Mundet of RAC1 in Catalonia (via Hoopshype).
Barcelona also probably doesn’t want and certainly doesn’t need to take players for just half a season. They have their pick of the best of Europe, they don’t want just rentals. Even really good rentals.
For the record, if anyone wishes to pay me a six-figure salary (or more) to live in Barcelona for a year, I’m willing to make the move.
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell 11
- LeBron, Durant, Kobe headline All NBA First Team 16
- It’s official: Krzyzewski back to coach Team USA through Rio Olympics 1
- Hibbert said he will speak up in future, demand to be in game at end 11
- Chris Andersen complements Heat’s Big Three so well 26
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (89)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (76)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- HBT: Astros vendor fired after taking food into bathroom
- PHT: Avs name Hall of Famer Roy as head coach
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful