Aug 3, 2011, 10:41 AM EDT
But Stern isn’t making that much right now.
He is not getting paid during the lockout, according to Marc Stein at ESPN. Stern essentially said as much back at the All-Star game, when asked about NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell making just $1 during the NFL lockout, Stern said that would be too much. He said he did not get paid during the lockout.
Stein said sources told him that Stern makes in the $15-$16 million range, although that is a base salary before any bonuses. Previous reports suggested that his total salary could be upwards of $20 million. The fact is we don’t know.
But Spencer Hawes tweeted: “Weird no rumblings about a pay cut for the commish while he asks every single player to do so.” Which made leaking Stern is not getting paid during the lockout is good PR for the league.
Not that it really means anything that he is taking a temporary pay cut. When the lockout ends, Stern will go back to making a massive salary. It’s not like he’s using that money to re-hire the 114 people the NBA league office recently laid off. And if anything the owners will give him a raise when the lockout ends while the players certainly will see a pay cut.
- Tim Duncan to appear in “The Punisher” comic book 5
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New York Knicks 10
- Klay Thompson’s agent: Thompson better two-way shooting guard than Kobe Bryant 47
- Report: Greg Oden’s drinking an issue during season, alleged domestic assault 29
- Kevin Durant calls Allen Iverson “pound for pound” best ever 29
- PBT Extra: What players looked good at World Cup? 4
- Time for FIBA/NBA to adopt soccer model: Only one major tournament every four years 16
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Brooklyn Nets 3