Aug 3, 2011, 10:41 AM EST
But Stern isn’t making that much right now.
He is not getting paid during the lockout, according to Marc Stein at ESPN. Stern essentially said as much back at the All-Star game, when asked about NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell making just $1 during the NFL lockout, Stern said that would be too much. He said he did not get paid during the lockout.
Stein said sources told him that Stern makes in the $15-$16 million range, although that is a base salary before any bonuses. Previous reports suggested that his total salary could be upwards of $20 million. The fact is we don’t know.
But Spencer Hawes tweeted: “Weird no rumblings about a pay cut for the commish while he asks every single player to do so.” Which made leaking Stern is not getting paid during the lockout is good PR for the league.
Not that it really means anything that he is taking a temporary pay cut. When the lockout ends, Stern will go back to making a massive salary. It’s not like he’s using that money to re-hire the 114 people the NBA league office recently laid off. And if anything the owners will give him a raise when the lockout ends while the players certainly will see a pay cut.
- Wednesday night NBA Grades: LaMarcus Aldridge is a flat out stud 2
- Arena evacuated after fire, Spurs-Timberwolves game in Mexico City postponed 12
- Milwaukee police release video, cite Larry Sanders for bar fight 11
- PBT Extra: Focusing on “epic showdown” between Knicks, Nets 5
- Carmelo Anthony: “We are the laughingstock of the league right now” 25
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (63)
- Report: Dion Waiters accused Kyrie Irving, Tristan Thompson of playing “buddy ball.” (53)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (41)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (41)
- With game in balance, Jason Kidd tells player to “hit me,” spills drink, gets psuedo timeout to draw up play (40)