Aug 3, 2011, 10:41 AM EDT
But Stern isn’t making that much right now.
He is not getting paid during the lockout, according to Marc Stein at ESPN. Stern essentially said as much back at the All-Star game, when asked about NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell making just $1 during the NFL lockout, Stern said that would be too much. He said he did not get paid during the lockout.
Stein said sources told him that Stern makes in the $15-$16 million range, although that is a base salary before any bonuses. Previous reports suggested that his total salary could be upwards of $20 million. The fact is we don’t know.
But Spencer Hawes tweeted: “Weird no rumblings about a pay cut for the commish while he asks every single player to do so.” Which made leaking Stern is not getting paid during the lockout is good PR for the league.
Not that it really means anything that he is taking a temporary pay cut. When the lockout ends, Stern will go back to making a massive salary. It’s not like he’s using that money to re-hire the 114 people the NBA league office recently laid off. And if anything the owners will give him a raise when the lockout ends while the players certainly will see a pay cut.
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 3
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 5
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 27
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4