Aug 3, 2011, 10:41 AM EDT
But Stern isn’t making that much right now.
He is not getting paid during the lockout, according to Marc Stein at ESPN. Stern essentially said as much back at the All-Star game, when asked about NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell making just $1 during the NFL lockout, Stern said that would be too much. He said he did not get paid during the lockout.
Stein said sources told him that Stern makes in the $15-$16 million range, although that is a base salary before any bonuses. Previous reports suggested that his total salary could be upwards of $20 million. The fact is we don’t know.
But Spencer Hawes tweeted: “Weird no rumblings about a pay cut for the commish while he asks every single player to do so.” Which made leaking Stern is not getting paid during the lockout is good PR for the league.
Not that it really means anything that he is taking a temporary pay cut. When the lockout ends, Stern will go back to making a massive salary. It’s not like he’s using that money to re-hire the 114 people the NBA league office recently laid off. And if anything the owners will give him a raise when the lockout ends while the players certainly will see a pay cut.
- Derrick Rose returns to full-contact practice, Bulls return date still unknown 1
- Report: Sacramento consultant Chris Mullin to take St. John’s head coaching job 1
- PBT Extra: Taking twitter questions on Clippers, Michael Carter-Williams, more 2
- PBT’s NBA Power Rankings: Cream rising to top as playoffs near 25
- Report: Patrick Beverley out for rest of season, including playoffs 6
- Breaking down Western Conference playoff chase with two weeks left in season 7
- Breaking down Eastern Conference playoff chase with two weeks left in season 8
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: Dwyane Wade is going to will Heat into playoffs 15