Aug 3, 2011, 10:41 AM EST
But Stern isn’t making that much right now.
He is not getting paid during the lockout, according to Marc Stein at ESPN. Stern essentially said as much back at the All-Star game, when asked about NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell making just $1 during the NFL lockout, Stern said that would be too much. He said he did not get paid during the lockout.
Stein said sources told him that Stern makes in the $15-$16 million range, although that is a base salary before any bonuses. Previous reports suggested that his total salary could be upwards of $20 million. The fact is we don’t know.
But Spencer Hawes tweeted: “Weird no rumblings about a pay cut for the commish while he asks every single player to do so.” Which made leaking Stern is not getting paid during the lockout is good PR for the league.
Not that it really means anything that he is taking a temporary pay cut. When the lockout ends, Stern will go back to making a massive salary. It’s not like he’s using that money to re-hire the 114 people the NBA league office recently laid off. And if anything the owners will give him a raise when the lockout ends while the players certainly will see a pay cut.
- Report: JaVale McGee close to signing with Celtics 7
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Masked Russell Westbrook just needs a cape 9
- George Karl: Knicks could use a strong point guard next to Carmelo Anthony 12
- Ray Allen announces he will not play this season 14
- Pelicans’ Anthony Davis a gametime decision Wednesday vs. Pistons 1
- Derek Fisher questions ‘character and integrity’ of players after Knicks lose to Kings by 38 points 29
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Tuesday: The Hawks clinched playoff spot in front of Josh Smith 6
- Nuggets need to decide direction, then hire coach 18